ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

New Ebook Reader....

(1/2) > >>

steeladept:
I just learned of a new E-book Reader set to hit the market right after Thanksgiving (that is the end of November for those of you who don't know the United States Holiday schedule).  It is from Barnes&Noble and is called the Nook.  Judging from features and capabilities, it looks like a Kindle clone, complete with the pricing ($9.99 or less for most books), the delivery methods (3G via AT&T wireless or WiFi), and color touchscreen and E-Ink (curious as to how that would work) (looks like it uses the color touchscreen as a navigation screen at the bottom and the E-Ink is a separate, larger screen).  It is also debuting at ~ $260 on preorder (haven't found yet if this will be the going price).

Just thought I would give those of you interested a heads-up.

Barnes & Noble's new Nook E-book Reader

ADDITIONS: One thing that is interesting is the ability to "loan" any books you own for 14 days to another Nook owner or with an iPod Touch/iPhone, PC/MAC, or even a Blackberry - interesting.....  Also, it provides automatic free WiFi at all B&N stores which is nice if you don't already use AT&T.  It also uses Memory Cards to expand your library beyond the 2GB internal limit.  YES!  THE BEST PART:  Native PDF reader built in!  It also has user replaceable batteries, and is uses an Android based OS (for better or worse).

Another NOTE:  Just found it - Only available in the U. S. at this time.  Doh!

lanux128:
good to have some competition around Kindle but still, no international support sucks big-time. i guess the rest of us just have to rely on China/Taiwan knock-offs then..

mouser:
i'm still dreaming of an ebook reader that can show a full 8.5x11" pdf page in actual size.

steeladept:
i'm still dreaming of an ebook reader that can show a full 8.5x11" pdf page in actual size.
-mouser (October 23, 2009, 10:44 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yeah, but the problem with that is it is so big!  Most people looking for that would not want something so large.  Still, I am sure you are not the only one...I can just imagine Engineering firms considering an electronic blueprint reader if they made the screen big enough.  Maybe Tabloid (11x17) or even larger.  They your 8.5x11 would just be a different size option.  Until then, though, I don't see the market moving that way anytime soon.  Maybe it is just me.

steeladept:
good to have some competition around Kindle but still, no international support sucks big-time. i guess the rest of us just have to rely on China/Taiwan knock-offs then..
-lanux128 (October 23, 2009, 10:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

Maybe, but it isn't even in the U.S. yet.  It is vaporware at this point.  Scheduled release date is Nov. 30th.  I expect early next year they will try to break into the European and/or Asian markets.  Until then, though, you can use the B&N Reader on any iPhone/iPod Touch or on a Blackberry.  Then you could start your library until it became available.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version