ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What's your favorite launch bar? Your favorite features? Missing Features?

<< < (17/21) > >>

AaronCompNetSys:
examples of some launch bar tools:
http://www.alentum.com/alaunch/index.htm
-mouser (January 06, 2006, 05:20 AM)
--- End quote ---
I just switched to this for my low-power server. I have unique need, and thought I might post it :)

When running a low power file sever (laptop with a broken screen), the VGA never sees the light of day.  VNC, Various web guis, and CLI is all that gets used, and when it has to be a Windoze box due to special constraints, you need a lightweight launcher to take over for explore.exe, because we sure can't let that guy take up some of my precious 100MB of ram.

Requirements:
- Lightweight RAM and Swap, no page hits
- Custom icon bitmap (ico, exe, and png load)
- Parameter entry per item
- No Alpha blending
- Button click verification
- Always on top
- No dock/Dock without a giant ugly gray bar (invisible background)
- Independent of explorer.exe
- Already running or launch in progress indication
- Take focus on mouse over (to help with magic eaten clicks over VNC)

RocketDock is my workstation solution, but for a file server its not too cool.  No button click verification (the laggy bounce over VNC doesn't count) and the running indicator thrashes the file system on a crappy box.  The pretty Alpha and scaling is cool but not needed.  I floated around looking for an AHK based replacement but the one mouser mentioned fit the bill at the moment.

mouser:
Have you tried my Launch Bar Commander -- I used Advanced Launcher until I coded that.

We will also be running a good discount on True Launch Bar in march, starting in the next few days.

AaronCompNetSys:
Yeah, a bit too many features and ram, but I appreciate the post!

delwoode:
I've tried a lot but ended up sticking with stardocks object dock, it is simple to use - I like the way I can just drag a new program icon on to it or drag one off to remove it.  Most of all it used less memory than any other i tried and that is the main reason I use it instead of a similar one like Rocket dock.

cmpm:
Executor seems to have some cool options.
Like import the program files .exe.
And drag and drop for keywords.
Adding a keyword with "Add to windows send-to menu" option enabled.

http://www.1space.dk/executor/screenshots.html

I don't know if FARR has these options or not,
I was just browsing the feeds and this was on 'BARRY'S BEST COMPUTER TIPS'.

I don't use a launch bar so I'm not qualified to discern the best options.
Just thought that these were good options shown there in the link of screenshots.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version