ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What's your favorite launch bar? Your favorite features? Missing Features?

<< < (3/21) > >>

rkrause:
I currently use PS Hot Launch ( http://www.pssoftlab.com/pshl_info.phtml ), which is not strictly speaking a launch bar, but a fully customizable and freeware menu program that sits in the System Tray and effectively replaces the Start Menu and Quick Launch. In addition to listing and grouping applications as you like, you can do the same with documents, folders, web pages, and email addresses. Configuration is easy with drag and drop. 

I should mention that since I've started using Find & Run Robot, I use PS Hot Launch more for inventory, categorization, and memory-jogging purposes than for actually launching programs. F&RR has also replaced AppRocket and SlickRun on my system. What a fantastic program! Really looking forward to v.2, mouser.

Rick

Edvard:
I run PowerPro as a launch bar. Since PP does a gajillion other things I don't use/want/need a lighter launch thingie that is similarly configurable would be great. Some things mentioned that PowerPro can do that a replacement would ideally do:
Sit in system tray and popup a menu.
Hide at an edge and show (bar, menu, whatever) when edge is hit.
Use multiple methods for launching- shortcut buttons, menus, hotkeys, ?...
Group shortcuts or menu items visually by selectable criteria: category, type, alphabetical, whatever.

I have my PowerPro bar set up much like the launch panel from  XFCE( a linux window manager app ) where there are icons which represent my most-used app in that category and are activated by a left-click. Right-click on the same icon gets me a menu of other apps in that category. For example, my Firefox button of course opens Firefox when I click it. A right-click pops up a menu of the category "internet" that includes IE, Filezilla, Opera, and may also include Instant Message and IRC apps, Upload links, etc.

Two cents and all that.

Darwin:
Stardock's ObjectBar is pretty configureable, (though I can't in honesty be bothered with it!) and completely replaces the windows taskbar.

Nudone: I purchased WB 5 and it's worth the $19.95. I liked it so much I upgraded to ObjectDesktop but probably should have stopped at WB... OD comes with a raft of apps that you can use to tweak the appearance of your entire system but I find that I don't use many of them. Amongst them is an app called Enhance Dialog, which allows you to modify your open/close, save, etc. dialogs a la File-Ex and XFilesDialog.

Anyway, give WindowBlinds 5 a try - the glass effects are really something. Of course, I might just be easily impressed having religiously stuck with Windows Classic and the themes service disabled for the last three years! Note, my system actually seems more responsive with Windows skinned under WindowBlinds. Maybe that's just me trying to rationalize the expense, though!

tinyvillager:

Yeah i could be wrong about windowblinds,never did upgrade to 5,all the forum posts over there tends to spook one.
Maybe it's just fud from those with cracked versions,i might give it ago,i still have upgrade privileges.

Now that this thread has gone totally off
subject,has anyone tried https://secure.tgtsoft.com/ ?

It's only 20 bucks aswell.

Rover:
I use free launch bar just because it's easy and does what I want.  It goes vertical along the left of my screen and allows me to add folders of one click apps.  I don't need much :)

Go Mouser!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version