ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Features removed from Win7 - do we miss them?

<< < (3/4) > >>

Eóin:
I'm not at my Win 7 PC now but can you not just recover most of the Classic Start menu behaviour in a quicklaunch-esque toolbar?

Either way I don't miss it. In Vista initially I used to switch to the classic menu alright but once or twice of forgetting to do it showed me just how good the new menu was.

Lashiec:
Hrm, no tooltip when hovering over the date area (essential for checking up the date), and no connection animation (always useful to see if something is hoarding all the bandwidth for itself).

Even though I rarely use the start menu because of FARR, the Vista style start menu is a pretty big improvement over the classic. Of course MS could've kept the classic menu for the people who refuse to change, but whatever.
-f0dder (October 22, 2009, 07:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

How so? The only good thing it has going for it is that maybe people will be more accustomed to use the new Search box, in an effort to avoid the POS that is the new Start menu. Or am I missing something?

Hirudin:
Only thing I've missed in Win7 compared to XP is floating appbands
...-f0dder (October 22, 2009, 05:48 AM)
--- End quote ---
I'm not clear what an appband is. Is that what is created when you drag a folder to the edge of the screen and it creates a taskbar-like menu? I used to use one on the left side of the screen but now I just put my whole start menu on the left and pin all the programs I use to it. Works great!

Tuxman:
The Classic Start Menu can most likely be replaced by third party applications.
-Curt (October 22, 2009, 05:02 AM)
--- End quote ---
Shareware though.

f0dder:
Only thing I've missed in Win7 compared to XP is floating appbands
...-f0dder (October 22, 2009, 05:48 AM)
--- End quote ---
I'm not clear what an appband is. Is that what is created when you drag a folder to the edge of the screen and it creates a taskbar-like menu? I used to use one on the left side of the screen but now I just put my whole start menu on the left and pin all the programs I use to it. Works great!
-Hirudin (October 22, 2009, 12:40 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yeah, I think appband is the name for it, but that's what I meant. Pinning stuff to the taskbar doesn't quite do it for me, I want it on a separate bar (and can you pin folders on the win7 taskbar? haven't tried, tbh :))

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version