ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

10 things to do after installing Linux

<< < (10/11) > >>

Innuendo:
Besides that, I wasn't talking about speed.

I was talking about the lack of installation due to pre-installation.

Because of the Linux model, if distroes want to have certain software installed alongside the OS, then the newbie has it as soon as they install the OS on their PC.-Paul Keith (November 09, 2009, 06:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

Okay, I misunderstood the point you were trying to make. Yes, things are great if your distro has the software you want in their repository. If not, I've seen enough stories, even recently, of having to install dependencies and dependencies for those dependencies that the process is nothing a newbie is going to want to deal with.

Linux is getting better, but it still hasn't reached the ease of next-next-next-finish install wizards on Windows. I'm really looking forward to that day but we just aren't there yet in spite of wishful thinking to the contrary.

Innuendo:
I should add that under the Linux Help blogroll section of my blog, I have a few great links for new users and tips. Grokdoc also has an outline for businesses switching to Linux.
-zridling (November 09, 2009, 09:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

And I commend you for that, Zaine. There was a time not too long ago the only answer a Linux newbie was apt to get when asking a question would be, "RTFM, noob!" I am glad we're evolving past that.

Tuxman:
These wizards have the impressive disadvantage that they don't allow an actual modification of the chosen settings. Ease is not a pro here.

40hz:
@iphigenie,

Sounds like you should develop a distro of your own. :p (I mean it!)
-Paul Keith (November 08, 2009, 07:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

Relatively easy to do if you're using SuSE:

www.susestudio.com

It's still by invitation, but it doesn't take too long to get an admission ticket any more. 8)

Paul Keith:
Okay, I misunderstood the point you were trying to make. Yes, things are great if your distro has the software you want in their repository. If not, I've seen enough stories, even recently, of having to install dependencies and dependencies for those dependencies that the process is nothing a newbie is going to want to deal with.

Linux is getting better, but it still hasn't reached the ease of next-next-next-finish install wizards on Windows. I'm really looking forward to that day but we just aren't there yet in spite of wishful thinking to the contrary.
-Innuendo (November 10, 2009, 12:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

This is true but it's so far from:

And this is what is keeping Linux from ever becoming a threat to Microsoft. Nobody wants to find out they can't run Program A just because they already installed Program B. On Windows you can run any program alongside any other & 99% of the time there will be no conflicts.
--- End quote ---

...nowadays.

The newbie distroes literally have lots of software pre-installed (not just located in the repository) that if everything works and there are no hardware limitations/bugs/etc.

You can literally have a Linux that auto-sets up your printer, your internet, your Office Suite, your movie player/codecs, etc.

For the desktop user, the situation today is less about having Program A co-exist with Program B.

The situation today (even barring games) is to have Program A exist and work just as well.

Don't get me wrong. Dependency hell exists in the same veins that Windows is still insecure but as far as desktop users are concerned, the situation is very rare and repositories are not as barren as you seem to have the impression of.

In terms of next-next-finish, just look at your modern day Live CD and tell me that's harder to understand and install than Windows.

Even repositories' GUI are becoming newbie friendlier bit by bit. In mintinstall, you both have a featured application selection and each item has a screenshot and ratings to accompany it.

The problem is literally more and more leaning towards developers supporting programs on it than it is to get programs installed on it correctly.

Just look at DropBox page for how to install DropBox on Linux:

http://www.dropbox.com/downloading

Do you really think these kinds of things are alien for desktop users to figure out?

The ball is on developers to support Linux to convince people to switch to Linux if they really want them to.

It's less and less about dependency hell because with the way most newbie friendly distroes are set up, they literally need to tweak Linux less than Windows and that means they rarely need to encounter these problems unless something goes wrong.

But when something goes wrong. Again, the fault there isn't the Linux model but the lack of support for Linux. It would be the same thing on Windows if you break something and all you have are chatrooms and forums to ask advise for.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version