ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

10 things to do after installing Linux

<< < (9/11) > >>

Innuendo:
Really if everything works on your Linux, it works and installs faster on Linux than on Windows.-Paul Keith (November 09, 2009, 04:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm glad you have run every Windows & Linux program in existence so you are able to say that. No, seriously, you cannot possibly know if everything works faster on Linux than Windows. There's Windows software that there is no Linux equivalent for and vice versa. Blanket statements like yours above just cannot be made.

Well, I hope this is either also sarcasm or not directed at me. I just re-switched from Linux last month and even before that I was a total Linux newbie when I left.
--- End quote ---

Nope, not directed at you at all as before now I did not know your background with Linux or Windows. My statement was a general one not directed at any particular person just commenting that some people are like that.

Paul Keith:
I'm glad you have run every Windows & Linux program in existence so you are able to say that. No, seriously, you cannot possibly know if everything works faster on Linux than Windows. There's Windows software that there is no Linux equivalent for and vice versa. Blanket statements like yours above just cannot be made.
--- End quote ---

I don't have to know them all.

Remember you're talking for the desktop user here.

Of course if the software is available on Windows and not available on Linux you can't compare them because they don't exist.

But if both software are available on both OS and both software are stable on them, do you really think something that's on Fluxbox or XFCE or even Gnome is in general going to be slower than one on XP or 7?

Besides that, I wasn't talking about speed.

I was talking about the lack of installation due to pre-installation.

Because of the Linux model, if distroes want to have certain software installed alongside the OS, then the newbie has it as soon as they install the OS on their PC.

On Windows it isn't set up that way so every re-format is a blank slate and there's no package manager that will ease their job of finding new software.

f0dder:
But if both software are available on both OS and both software are stable on them, do you really think something that's on Fluxbox or XFCE or even Gnome is in general going to be slower than one on XP or 7?
-Paul Keith (November 09, 2009, 06:49 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yup :)

Video drivers that still aren't fully accelerated, X11 system that in general seems inferior compared to Windows, and executables that take forever to load on linux (on the same hardware, Visual Studio ready to use under Windows in shorter time than whatever Wordpad clone gentoo came with? That's embarassing).

Paul Keith:
fodder, you do realize Innuendo quoted this part of my reply:

Really if everything works on your Linux, it works and installs faster on Linux than on Windows.
--- End quote ---

Edit:

Nevermind. I should just use the section you quoted:

--- End quote ---

zridling:
I should add that under the Linux Help blogroll section of my blog, I have a few great links for new users and tips. Grokdoc also has an outline for businesses switching to Linux.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version