ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

10 things to do after installing Linux

<< < (8/11) > >>

Innuendo:
The problem is that the 5% remain huge because of lack of support and different/advanced ways to fix things. (Example even most Windows Power Users can live without messing with the registry but in Linux, most of the fixes can require knowledge of the Linux infrastructure.)
-Paul Keith (November 08, 2009, 09:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

And this is what I'm talking about. In the Windows world (and the Mac world as well) a few simple tweaks will get anything you need up and running. On Linux there's not always that level of simplicity. Microsoft & Apple lend something to their respective OSes that Linux just doesn't have & that is a defined structure where nearly everything is defined (programming-wise) down to nearly the last detail. Contrast that with Linux in that there is a defined structure that has been painted with broad strokes, but there are lots of missing links where Linux programmers are forced to program their own solutions & those solutions are not always 100% compatible with the solutions other programmers have come up with.

Innuendo:
Please tell me this is sarcasm. -Josh (November 09, 2009, 04:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

I believe it is as his next paragraph starts out with "Seriously speaking though..."

Face it, Josh, it's fun for non-Windows users to poke fun at Microsoft & the flaws of the Windows OS. Unfortunately, most of these non-Windows users haven't used a Windows computer in years & don't realize a lot of those flaws simply don't exist anymore.

Dormouse:
In the Windows world (and the Mac world as well) a few simple tweaks will get anything you need up and running. -Innuendo (November 09, 2009, 10:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Tuxman:
Innuendo is right, Dormouse. At least for Windows.

Paul Keith:
@Tuxman and Innuendo, not really true.

Really if everything works on your Linux, it works and installs faster on Linux than on Windows. The problem is more things work on Windows but that's no surprise.

Contrast that with Linux in that there is a defined structure that has been painted with broad strokes, but there are lots of missing links where Linux programmers are forced to program their own solutions & those solutions are not always 100% compatible with the solutions other programmers have come up with.
--- End quote ---

Well, I'm not a developer but from this recent link made in DC, it doesn't sound that bad.

https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=20096.0

Face it, Josh, it's fun for non-Windows users to poke fun at Microsoft & the flaws of the Windows OS. Unfortunately, most of these non-Windows users haven't used a Windows computer in years & don't realize a lot of those flaws simply don't exist anymore.
--- End quote ---

Well, I hope this is either also sarcasm or not directed at me. I just re-switched from Linux last month and even before that I was a total Linux newbie when I left.

Really the comment holds up for both users on either side.

Most non-Linux users wouldn't know how many improvements there have been for Linux.

Really, how recently has a newbie friendly Live CD been accessible?

How long has Mint and PCLinuxOS redefined what newbie distroes are on Linux?

How long has Gnome Do and Adobe Air for Linux been available?

How long has Dropbox for Linux been available?

Really, unless you need troubleshooting or advanced tweaks, from the PC newbie side of the desktop what advanced steps do you really need to do on a newbie-friendly Linux that isn't also advanced on Windows unless you get a developer who made the GUI easier?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version