ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

10 things to do after installing Linux

(1/11) > >>

zridling:
[via Graham Morrison]:

You’ve finally decided to try Linux. The installation went without a hitch (they usually do these days) and you’ve got a shiny new desktop sitting in front of you. What do you do next? It’s a whole world of limitless possibilities. Thanks to the nature of open-source development, thousands of applications, games, tools and utilities can be installed with just a few mouse clicks. None of these will be shareware, commercial or sponsored through advertising. They'll be functional, full-blown applications. And there's a lot to look at. The trick is knowing where to start.

Nice intro for beginners and tweaking.

Tuxman:
Linux Mint? That greenish Ubuntu derivative?
Thus: That greenish ((Debian derivative) derivative)?

Why not using the original Debian instead?

However, what to do after installing any Linux really depends on what you actually want to do ...

Innuendo:
I liked this article. It's a very practical guide for people new to Linux who are going to hit that desktop for the first time and have a lot of "But, how do I...?" questions. The author outlines each task, gives the basics, and then leaves things alone. He didn't fall into the common trap of giving the newbies information overload.

Excellent article for those who have just made the switch to Linux and even those who have no intention of switching who are just curious to see what Linux is like.

Innuendo:

Why not using the original Debian instead?-Tuxman (October 19, 2009, 11:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think the reason why Linux Mint was chosen is that this article was targeted towards people who have no Linux experience at all.

Ubuntu is an easier to use version of Debian. Linux Mint is an easier to use version of Ubuntu.

But, of course, for the truly hard-core....Debian for life!  :Thmbsup:

jgpaiva:

Why not using the original Debian instead?
-Tuxman (October 19, 2009, 11:58 AM)
--- End quote ---
1 - Because newbies want to start the computer, get their mp3s from their windows machine and listen to them right away.
2 - Because newbies want to start the computer, insert a divx and see it right away.
3 - Because newbies want to start their computer, open a window and have the desktop effects right away (even if they have an nvidia graphics card).

I guess these are just 3 reasons... If you dwell into the whole debian "no non-free stuff is installed", you'll probably find quite a few more interesting packages missing.
I prefer Ubuntu to Mint or Debian, but still I can appreciate the effort that Mint developers are making. I just wish more people in the open-source community would think like them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version