ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What books are you reading?

<< < (207/212) > >>

rjbull:
Tales of the Dying Earth by Jack Vance

An omnibus edition of The Dying Earth, The Eyes of the Overworld, Cugel's Saga and Rhialto the Marvellous.  Although Vance's two SF short stories The Gift of Gab and The Potters of Firsk stuck in my mind, I hadn't read much of his other work before, and didn't realise that The Dying Earth was a foundational work for twentieth-century fantasy.  Nobody else I know of has his baroque intoxication with language and with colours.

Penric's Progress by Lois McMaster Bujold

The first three "Penric" novellas, finally available in dead tree form (hardback now, paperback due in January 2021).  Set in the "World of the Five Gods" (same world as The Curse of Chalion and others).  Terrific!  Don't miss this series!

panzer:

I own a paper version, but with different cover:

rjbull:

I own a paper version, but with different cover:-panzer (October 24, 2020, 03:57 PM)
--- End quote ---
Mine's paperback too, but it's quite old, a UK edition published in 2000.  Publishers seem to have a habit of changing the artwork when they re-publish, as well as by country.

tomos:
Mort by Terry Pratchett. A nice (and not too big) hardback.

about 70 pages in -- a very easy and entertaining read so far. My first book by Pratchett. I used be more of a novels reader, but just kind of gave up a few years back. Read an occasional non-fiction, not much else.

40hz:
Mastering Ubuntu Server 3rd Edition by Jay LaCroix.

Jay has a decent YouTube channel covering various server topics. I figured I’d buy his book to help support him and his channel. And it’s actually a good read. I was familiar with most but not all it covered. So it’s a handy refresher/reference for a server geek, and an excellent how-to for someone just getting into servers - or interested in setting up their first home lab. Highly recommended.

Requiem for the American Dream - The Principals of Concentrated Wealth and Power - Noam Chomsky

MIT professor of linguistics needs no introduction to the world of intelligent discussion and debate. This book was compiled from a series of talks, and might have been titled: “a blueprint for tyranny” just as easily. An uncomfortable read. Especially in the wake of the political and social dumpster fire we’ve lived through over the previous four years.

YouTube made a full video of it. It’s worth watching - and thinking about - if you’re not into reading books.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version