ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What books are you reading?

<< < (189/212) > >>

rjbull:
[...] I read Tim Powers' The Drawing of the Dark, which I read a few months ago. This brilliant fantasy [...]-Dormouse (June 02, 2018, 02:56 PM)
--- End quote ---
I hope you are also aware of Tim Powers' The Anubis Gatesw.  I only read it once, long ago, but it seemed to me a fantasy masterpiece.

rjbull:
If anyone remembers mentions of Jonathan Stroud's Bartimaeus series and Heroes of the Valley, much earlier in this thread, and wondered what he's been doing since, this is it:

A quintet of YA horror-with-a-touch-of-humour novels, plus a shorter ebook (I've not read that last).  Great entertainment.  Here's the blurb for the first in the series, taken directly from Jonathan's Stroud's web site:
The Screaming Staircase

When the dead come back to haunt the living, Lockwood & Co. step in . . .

For more than fifty years, the country has been affected by a horrifying epidemic of ghosts. A number of Psychic Investigations Agencies have sprung up to destroy the dangerous apparitions.

Lucy Carlyle, a talented young agent, arrives in London hoping for a notable career. Instead she finds herself joining the smallest, most ramshackle agency in the city, run by the charismatic Anthony Lockwood. When one of their cases goes horribly wrong, Lockwood & Co. have one last chance of redemption. Unfortunately this involves spending the night in one of the most haunted houses in England, and trying to escape alive.

Set in a city stalked by spectres, The Screaming Staircase is the first in a chilling new series full of suspense, humour and truly terrifying ghosts. Your nights will never be the same again.
--- End quote ---

rjbull:
Another YA SF (well, fantasy in an SF wrapper, perhaps); the concluding volume of the trilogy - Railhead, Black Light Express, and now Station Zero. More great entertainment. Raises questions about the wisdom of committing too much to benevolent AIs, and at what point sentient machines are equivalent to humans, doing so in a lighter and more enjoyable manner than some 'adult' SF.
Philip Reeve's web site (out of date)

mouser:
Edited my post to add another relationship book.

wraith808:
Read(ing) two anthologies.

Exalted: Tales from the Age of Sorrows

Very disappointing.  As an anthology based on an RPG, I didn't expect much.  But it didn't even deliver to that level.

Ki-Khanga: The Anthology

My second time attempting to get through this - the formatting of the e-book and editing are atrocious.  But once I got past that, the stories themselves were pretty good.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version