ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What books are you reading?

<< < (165/212) > >>

panzer:
Dumped:

rjbull:
Aliette de Bodard's trilogy-iphigenie (September 10, 2012, 02:16 AM)
--- End quote ---
Aliette de Bodard is one of the panellists in the 2017-03-13 edition of:
BBC Radio 4 - Beyond Belief, Science Fiction
Science fiction has perhaps been unfairly dismissed by many critics and academics; seen by some as a niche genre, not befitting the elite group of literary works deemed to be 'high art'. While some examples ofscience fiction could be criticised for perpetuating fantasy clichés, others undoubtedly explore the biggest questions of life. Fans argue that the Sci-Fi universe allows the audience to suspend their disbelief about what is conventional, and opens up a space to explore philosophical, ethical and religious ideas in a relatable, absorbing and entertaining way. So how has religion been explored in the most influential works of science fiction? And what does science fiction have to tell us about faith and religion?

Robert Beckford discusses the role of religion in science fiction with Aliette de Bodard, a writer with an interest in the interplay between science fiction and religion; Roz Kaveney, a writer, poet and critic; and Dr Sarah Dillon, author and Cambridge academic who explores science fiction in literature and film.
--- End quote ---
Podcast available from the web site above.

MilesAhead:
When I was in high school I got a kick out of reading a satirical scifi novel When They Come From Space by Mark Clifton.  They wanted $10 for it on Amazon but I found it on Kobo DRM-free for $2.99.  I will likely start reading it again later this afternoon.  It was published in 1962 so it will be interesting to see if it feels dated now.  Especially since the Cold War(tm) is over.  :)

Edit:  I finished the book today. It still has its bite.  The main thing dated in the story is the necessity to get a "long distance operator" to make the connection for you for long distance calls.  :)

Deozaan:
For about the past two years, I've had a tab constantly open to Packt's Free Learning eBook of the Day so I can claim any book they offer on any topic that seems remotely interesting to me.

So I've got a decently large collection of Packt books by now, and most of them I haven't even cracked the cover on (so to speak) yet. This is largely because many of the books were a "maybe someday I'll wanna know more about this" type of thing. But also because they tend to give away older books which may be somewhat outdated, since technology changes so quickly. And also, of course, the fact that it's free means if I'm on the fence about something, I'll grab it "just in case" rather than exercise greater discernment about whether or not I truly want to read a book about that topic.

But lately I've actually started looking through some of the books and being pleasantly surprised at how much useful information is in them.

These are the latest ones I've started to delve into, because even though I code in C# while using Unity, I never really learned much about C# outside of the context of Unity.

Learning C# by Developing Games in Unity 5.x - Second Edition

C# 6 and .NET Core 1.0 - Modern Cross-Platform Development

wraith808:
^ Though packt is a lot cheaper option than others out there, I've found that the information within is as good, or better, than the other offerings.  :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version