ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What books are you reading?

<< < (162/212) > >>

IainB:
Why did you change the title of the book when you quoted Renegade?
-Deozaan (February 08, 2017, 02:56 AM)
--- End quote ---
Oops! Thanks for spotting that. I hadn't realised in my haste that I had cut-and-pasted the wrong title (fortunately the link was still correct though). Corrected now.

However, I should probably point out that Islam and the Quran/Koran are essentially indistinguishable, since Islam literally means "Submit" to the absolute and infallible word of Allah that is embodied in the "Quran" ("The Recital").
By definition therefore, questioning Islam is questioning the Quran and is highly offensive to Islam/Muslims and a punishable blasphemy, so I would not recommend it.

IainB:
Various forms of the 2 editions (3 volumes in all) can be downloaded from Gutenberg Press and Wayback Machine.-IainB (February 07, 2017, 08:49 PM)
--- End quote ---
I have searched https://www.gutenberg.org/ but can't find the book. Do you have link to the book? Thank you very much.
-erikts (February 07, 2017, 11:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

At the webpage link I gave to the Wikipedia page: The River War: An Historical Account of the Reconquest of the Soudan
- they give these links under "External Links":

* Unabridged first edition volume 1 (1899)
* Unabridged first edition volume 2 (1899)These are the best 1st editions (1899) that I could find (have colour and illustrations), though the OCR is not without errors - probably due to the relatively poor/old quality of the paper and typesetting being scanned, or "noisy" images.
Decent copies of the 1st edition (1899) with searchable text are more difficult to come by, which is apparently why the above unabridged versions were kindly donated.

Below that in the Wikipedia page are links to the Internet Archive/Wayback machine and Project Gutenberg where you will find various formats of file for the abridged 2nd edition (1902).
You will also be able to find there some .mobi and .mbp files, and others - e.g., HTML conversion of 2nd Ed. (1902) version: http://gutenberg.readingroo.ms/4/9/4/4943/4943-h/4943-h.htm

So, to recap, the best .PDF files with relatively clear image, illustrations and full OCR:

* the two unabridged .PDFs (1899) Vols 1+2 of Ed.1 - black cover with gold image of a steamboat on the front.
* the abridged/condensed .PDF (1902) of Ed.2 - red cover with gold image of a steamboat on the front.Sorry, I didn't keep a link for the red cover document, but it came from the Internet Archive, and was scanned from a University of Pittsburgh library hardcopy.
If you can't find any/all of these I can put my copies up in the Cloud for you to download (they are all in the public domain), so let me know if you need them.

I wasn't too fussed about getting the newer edition, as I gather it had been expurgated and condensed to remove a lot of "politically incorrect" material. The thing is, Churchill didn't mince his words and tended to "tell it like it was" and would be openly critical of the British for any historic campaign failings he described. I recall reading a quote of Churchill's, made in reference to the tyranny of the politically correct, or something.

Hope this helps or is of use.

mouser:
Investing takes a lot of effort though. Read, read, watch, watch, think, think, buy... hold... SELL! Timing is everything.
--- End quote ---

I'll just point out that a very common theme of all of the serious investing books I have read, from absolute trusted names, are unanimous that trying to time the market and buy and sell stocks in anticipation of stocks going up and down is folly and almost certain to lead you to failure.  They all emphasize that you are not going to be able to beat the market and the professional day traders, and that the way to win the game of investing is to be cautious and put your money in for the long run in a very diversified set of conservative investments and just let your money grow with the overall trends of the market.

erikts:
Below that in the Wikipedia page are links to the Internet Archive/Wayback machine and Project Gutenberg where you will find various formats of file for the abridged 2nd edition (1902).
You will also be able to find there some .mobi and .mbp files, and others - e.g., HTML conversion of 2nd Ed. (1902) version: http://gutenberg.readingroo.ms/4/9/4/4943/4943-h/4943-h.htm
-IainB (February 08, 2017, 09:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thank you very much Iain for the information and write up.

After reading your post, I found the book page on Project Gutenberg:

The River War: An Account of the Reconquest of the Sudan by Winston Churchill
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/4943

IainB:
-IainB (February 08, 2017, 09:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thank you very much Iain for the information and write up.
After reading your post, I found the book page on Project Gutenberg:
The River War: An Account of the Reconquest of the Sudan by Winston Churchill
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/4943
-erikts (February 08, 2017, 08:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

Glad you found that OK at the link I provided.

By the way, I am pleased to relate that I have re-found the source of the good/best .PDF of the 2nd Edition (1902) of The River War - the one with the red cover. I retraced my footsteps and this is the Archive.org source:

* Details and view - here.
* Download link for .PDF file - here.As well as putting the eBooks into the Kindle for PC ($Free) library, I've put all 3 volumes (the .PDF files) into my Zotero database, along with snapshots of the related websites, sources, Wikipedia notes, etc. This is part of my extended trial of Zotero - I quite like how it can automatically gather bibliographic references and other metadata.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version