ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What books are you reading?

<< < (161/212) > >>

Renegade:
I've done fairly well with investing. The easiest one so far is Bitcoin. Buy & HODL. But, hey... what do I know... I've only raked in more in a day than most people make in a year or more (not Bitcoin even).

Investing takes a lot of effort though. Read, read, watch, watch, think, think, buy... hold... SELL! Timing is everything.

https://www.amazon.com/Questioning-Islam-Questions-Answers-Religion/dp/1500336203

Great book.

It's objective and calm. There's no hyperbole or anything. Everything is directly from primary sources and Islamic scholars.

Highly recommended for anyone looking to learn a bit more about Islam.

It doesn't get into political Islam or Sharia much though. That's not the scope of the book. It's simply about the actual scriptures, history, etc.

Fun bits include Islamic prescriptions for drinking camel urine, as well as others.

Great book again.

If you're wondering why Donald Trump won, read this. It will help shed light on that.

It also gets into the innards of identity politics. The second half of the book is better on this front.

The first bit of the book is a bit dull if you're not into #GamerGate, but wildly awesome if you are.

If you're a gamer and interested in #GamerGate, this is a must read.

IainB:
Questioning Islam
Great book.
It's objective and calm. There's no hyperbole or anything. Everything is directly from primary sources and Islamic scholars.
Highly recommended for anyone looking to learn a bit more about Islam.
It doesn't get into political Islam or Sharia much though. That's not the scope of the book. It's simply about the actual scriptures, history, etc.
Fun bits include Islamic prescriptions for drinking camel urine, as well as others.
-Renegade (February 06, 2017, 09:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

One of the best ways of learning about Islam would probably be to study the Quran itself - and English or other language translation of it. One of the best English translations of the Quran is arguably the Penguin Classic by N.J.Dawood

Also, don't forget Re: Interfaith Explorer (FREE) - Mini-Review (which you have commented on previously).

Plus there is a bare-bones discussion of the Quran at PJ Media by Robert Spencer in "Blogging the Quran", starting with Sura 1: THE WORLDWIDE MUST-READ: Robert Spencer's Blogging the Qur’an: Sura 1, 'The Opening'

IainB:
I am currently reading/comparing the two editions of: The River War: An Historical Account of the Reconquest of the Soudan, by Winston Churchill, concerning his experiences as a British Army officer, during the Mahdist War (1881–99) in the Sudan.

There are maps and other illustrations in the book.
The 1st edition was dated 1899 (at which time Churchill would have been 25 years old) and ran to two volumes.
The 2nd edition was dated 1902 and was heavily expurgated and condensed into a single volume.
Various forms of the 2 editions (3 volumes in all) can be downloaded from Gutenberg Press and Wayback Machine. I settled for scanned/OCR'd .PDF files, which makes them easier to search than just plain image .PDF files. Also loaded them into my Kindle.
Interesting glimpses of the man's mind. Even at 25, Churchill seems to have been a good historical researcher and a rather wise and farsighted strategist.

erikts:
Various forms of the 2 editions (3 volumes in all) can be downloaded from Gutenberg Press and Wayback Machine.-IainB (February 07, 2017, 08:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

I have searched https://www.gutenberg.org/ but can't find the book. Do you have link to the book? Thank you very much.

Deozaan:
Questioning the Quran
-Renegade (February 06, 2017, 09:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

One of the best ways of learning about Islam would probably be to study the Quran itself - an English or other language translation of it.
-IainB (February 07, 2017, 08:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

Why did you change the title of the book when you quoted Renegade?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version