ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What books are you reading?

<< < (160/212) > >>

Josh:
I didn't like it. Maybe my expectations were too high, but I found it boring and slow paced ... But that just me; you should give it a chance ...
-panzer (January 03, 2017, 04:20 AM)
--- End quote ---
Mind you, I'd usually have a preference for non-fiction if I expected to learn something, though sometimes fictional stories can be quite thought-provoking, if not educational - especially SF.
-IainB (January 03, 2017, 04:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

Speaking of thought provoking and educational, if you want that you should check out "A short stay in hell" which I linked to previously. It was a really interesting take on the "Library of Babel".

IainB:
@kath-accubizbooks: That would be Katherine LaBarca. Owner, President of AccuBizBooks (Trenton, FL), I presume?

I don't know whether DC forum members would be interested in what you read (why don't you try us and see?), but I suspect that you would probably be able to pass some useful comments/tips on any accounting software we might have discussed or reviewed on this forum, and also suggest some other software we might not have known about.
I for one would always be interested in any discussions regarding financial modelling or accounting-related software, or books on same.
EDIT 2017-01-06 2300hrs: Yes, I wondered whether I was replying to spam - seems like I probably was. Pity. It would have been good to get some fresh input on the subject of financial/accounting software.

panzer:
Dumped:

panzer:

mouser:
As someone who started out with zero understanding of finance and investing, I would recommend all of these I think.

Personal Finance For Dummies Paperback – December 29, 2015 by Eric Tyson (Author)

A Beginner's Guide to Investing: How to Grow Your Money the Smart and Easy Way - 2012 by Alex H Frey

The Everything Investing Book: Smart strategies to secure your financial future! Paperback – September 18, 2009 by Michele Cagan

The Ultimate Dividend Playbook: Income, Insight and Independence for Today's Investor Hardcover – January 2, 2008 by Josh Peters

Investing For Dummies Paperback – January 30, 2017 by Eric Tyson

The Tax and Legal Playbook: Game-Changing Solutions to Your Small-Business Questions Paperback – April 28, 2015 by Mark J. Kohler

The Intelligent Investor Paperback – 2013 by Benjamin Graham

The last one is a classic, whose first edition came out in the 40s, and which was updated again in the 70s, and now has commentary added from the 2000s.  It's big and interesting and almost philosophical.

All of the books above are focused on very cautious, defensive, long-term investing, and all emphasize the folly of trying to beat the market.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version