ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What books are you reading?

<< < (159/212) > >>

Josh:
This is an interesting take on the concept of hell and tells one man's journey through this temporary plane of existence.-Josh (July 16, 2016, 03:04 PM)
--- End quote ---
If you like weird stuff, you might like Flann O'Brien's The Third Policeman.

-rjbull (July 16, 2016, 04:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

Finished this one a few months ago and wanted to say thanks for the recommendation! What an interesting tale that dives into quite a few different topic areas. I kinda predicted the ending (at least the major premise behind it, not necessarily how it came to be) but that didn't take away from the journey of finding the third policeman.

Thanks again!

Josh:

-panzer (July 23, 2016, 05:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

Panzer,

How was "The Fireman"? I found this one and have it on my wish list. I am interested in hearing your thoughts on it.

panzer:
I didn't like it. Maybe my expectations were too high, but I found it boring and slow paced ... But that just me; you should give it a chance ...

IainB:
I didn't like it. Maybe my expectations were too high, but I found it boring and slow paced ... But that just me; you should give it a chance ...
-panzer (January 03, 2017, 04:20 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, always a good idea to give a book "a chance". Maybe get a pleasant surprise. One never knows what one risks learning from a book until one reads it.     :D
It's like a kind of adventure - e.g., The Catcher in the Rye, or Mein Kampf, or The Log from the Sea of Cortez.

Mind you, I'd usually have a preference for non-fiction if I expected to learn something, though sometimes fictional stories can be quite thought-provoking, if not educational - especially SF.

mouser:
I Want My Hat Back by  Jon Klassen

Loved it.  Made me laugh. The cover conveys it all -- if you don't laugh at the cover don't bother.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version