ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What books are you reading?

<< < (151/212) > >>

Deozaan:
I recently attended a lecture about studies and data on marriage and families (and how/why they're important to society). Thinking economics was just about money/finance and stock markets/exchanges, I was puzzled about why an economics professor was giving the lecture. I voiced my confusion to someone sitting nearby and was informed that economics covers a much broader scope than simply money, and had a book recommended to me: Naked Economics by Charles Wheelan.

Finally! A book about economics that won’t put you to sleep. In fact, you won’t be able to put this bestseller down. In our challenging economic climate, this perennial favorite of students and general readers is more than a good read, it’s a necessary investment—with a blessedly sure rate of return. Demystifying buzzwords, laying bare the truths behind oft-quoted numbers, and answering the questions you were always too embarrassed to ask, the breezy Naked Economics gives readers the tools they need to engage with pleasure and confidence in the deeply relevant, not so dismal science.-http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7937510-naked-economics
--- End quote ---

The author promises that there will be no charts, graphs, or math formulas in the book. He explains in plain English what economics is, and perhaps more importantly, why it matters.

I had no idea!

I'm finding the book (and topic) fascinating so far. And even though I'm currently only 2 chapters into it, I'd recommend it, especially as an introduction to economics.

panzer:

Started reading them, but they weren't attractive enough (at least not for me) so I abandoned them.

wraith808:
This one was a hard, but enlightening read.

In this day of hard economics, and even harder decisions, you want to help if you're blessed with more than others.  But, as with everything, there's a good way to help, and a decidedly bad way.  This book outlines how the best of intents can lead to really harmful actions.  And more than that, it gives examples of how to turn that around.

Public service is a way of life for Americans; giving is a part of our national character. But compassionate instincts and generous spirits aren’t enough, says veteran urban activist Robert D. Lupton. In this groundbreaking guide, he reveals the disturbing truth about charity: all too much of it has become toxic, devastating to the very people it’s meant to help.

--- End quote ---

A good review of the book is found at Christianity Today: http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2011/november/review-toxic-charity.html

I read the review when it first came out, but it was apparently free for only a limited time, and now requires a subscription.  But the excerpt given for free is still a good synopsis.

rjbull:
What books are you reading?

Older children/YA level SF, but don't let that put you off.  Outrageously entertaining!

* Philip Reeve's Web site
* Philip Reeve's fantasticfiction bibliography
“The Great Network is a place of drones and androids, Hive Monks, maintenance spiders and Station Angels. The place of the thousand gates, where sentient trains criss-cross the galaxy in a heartbeat.

It is also a place of great dangers – especially for someone who rides the rails and rides his luck the way Zen Starling does.

Meet Zen Starling:
Rebel, Adventurer, Imposter, Liar, Hero, Enemy, Ally
Destination: Unknown…”

rjbull:
[...]
Started reading them, but they weren't attractive enough (at least not for me) so I abandoned them. -panzer (September 14, 2016, 06:07 AM)
--- End quote ---
A Voyage to Arcturus by David Lindsay has been mentioned on DC before, originally by joiwind; my reply is here - Re: Science Fiction and Fantasy Reading List

This book appears on various "Greatest Novels of the 20th Century" lists.  According to an interview with C.S. Lewis, each chapter is a tableau that represents a philosophical position, which Lindsay sets up - then immediately tears down.  Philosophy is above my level; I haven't forgotten my mother's comment that everyone she'd ever met who had studied philosophy was totally incomprehensible.  I only read it once, over forty years ago, didn't understand it, but fragments of it have stuck in my mind  to this day.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version