ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What books are you reading?

<< < (147/212) > >>

MilesAhead:
Continuing with Alan Glynn I have finished Bloodland

and I am about 3/4 through Graveland

I am looking forward to the new release Paradime

Not in the public library yet.

rjbull:

A full bibliography may be found on Philip Kerr's fantasticfiction page.

Attronarch:
Wow, that's even good depiction of Zagreb main square, with the statue of governor Josip Jelačić in the background. I'll have to pick it up just to see what is it about.

tomos:
[The Quiet Twin - Dan Vyleta]
-rjbull (August 04, 2016, 05:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

did you find that one as good as the reviews suggested?

wraith808:
I read a lot, so I generally don't post the books to this thread, but two series are very good that I've just read.  I think the genre is called gunpowder fantasy, but it encompasses some historical constructs that I really like- akin to Sharpe's rifles.

The first is the Powder Mage Series, by Brian McClellan.  It starts with A Promise of Blood

The Age of Kings is dead . . . and I have killed it.

It's a bloody business overthrowing a king...
Field Marshal Tamas' coup against his king sent corrupt aristocrats to the guillotine and brought bread to the starving. But it also provoked war with the Nine Nations, internal attacks by royalist fanatics, and the greedy to scramble for money and power by Tamas's supposed allies: the Church, workers unions, and mercenary forces.

--- End quote ---

It's brilliantly paced, with visceral battle scenes that other than the presence of the Powder Mages and other Magic are very well done, and might as well be right out of a Sharpe novel, and well written characters that are intelligently developed.

The second series is, if possible, more fantastical while being a lot closer in scope to the British colonialism and imperialism- especially towards the end of the same.  I speak of the Iron Elves series by Chris Evans.  Everything is familiar, while at the same time, nothing is, and the characterizations are intense and well written.

It starts with A Darkness Forged in Fire, that almost lost me in the beginning.  But I'm glad that I stuck it out through that bit of exposition, as the rest of the read firmly grabbed me.

We do not fear the flame, though it burns us,
We do not fear the fire, though it consumes us,
And we do not fear its light,
Though it reveals the darkness of our souls,
For therein lies our power.
-- Blood Oath of the Iron Elves

First in a stunning debut series, A Darkness Forged in Fire introduces an unforgiving world of musket and cannon...bow and arrow...magic, diplomacy, and oaths -- each wielding terrible power in an Empire teetering on the brink of war.

--- End quote ---

I highly recommend both series if you're into that era of history at all.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version