ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What books are you reading?

<< < (146/212) > >>

panzer:

mouser:
i think that was made into a movie ive seen.

40hz:
Fifth-Business by Robertson Davies. Book one of three linked novels forming what's since come to be referred to as: "The Deptford Trilogy." The other two related books are The Manticore and The World of Wonders.

A very different take on the "coming of age" novel. If you enjoyed books like Slaughterhouse-Five, this book should appeal. Davies is a fine wordsmith. There's tons of quotable passages throughout. By example:

I have already said that while our village contained much of what humanity has to show, it did not contain everything, and one of the things it conspicuously lacked was an aesthetic sense; we were all too much descendants of hard-bitten pioneers to wish for or encourage any such thing, and we gave hard names to qualities that, in a more sophisticated society, might have had value.
--- End quote ---

From the publisher's blurb (which sums it up rather well):

Ramsay is a man twice born, a man who has returned from the hell of the battle-grave at Passchendaele in World War I decorated with the Victoria Cross and destined to be caught in a no man's land where memory, history, and myth collide. As Ramsay tells his story, it begins to seem that from boyhood, he has exerted a perhaps mystical, perhaps pernicious, influence on those around him. His apparently innocent involvement in such innocuous events as the throwing of a snowball or the teaching of card tricks to a small boy in the end prove neither innocent nor innocuous.  Fifth Business stands alone as a remarkable story told by a rational man who discovers that the marvelous is only another aspect of the real.
--- End quote ---

Recommended! :Thmbsup:

kunkel321:

https://books.google.com/books?id=34wClsOmBIoC&hl=en
Half way though.... It's pretty good!

MilesAhead:
i think that was made into a movie ive seen.
-mouser (August 06, 2016, 07:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

A 1973 vintage Walter Matthau flick
The Laughing Policeman

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version