ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What books are you reading?

<< < (145/212) > >>

MilesAhead:
Well, the D programming language was done in this spirit.  There is a good book or two on it.  I never thought it would survive but it has.  Still didn't feel "perfect" to me.
-mouser (July 25, 2016, 03:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

That reminds me of the good old days when Al Stevens of Dr. Dobb's Journal came out with D-flat as a retort to C#.  :)  It's hard to believe there are no programming magazines anymore.  Just "blogs" that disappear or lie fallow, and programming forums.  At least Code Project seems to be hanging in there.

There was something nice about holding up a hard copy magazine to show someone though.  It made it seem real.

Deozaan:
What we need is a new language, inspired by C++ and taking the lessons learned from these new C++ versions, but free from the historical burdens.
-mouser (July 25, 2016, 02:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

Isn't this what Go was designed for?

f0dder:
Well, the D programming language was done in this spirit.  There is a good book or two on it.  I never thought it would survive but it has.  Still didn't feel "perfect" to me.-mouser (July 25, 2016, 03:49 PM)
--- End quote ---
Last time I tried D was several years ago. The languaged felt kinda nice, but iirc it fell into the "meh, garbage collection and no deterministic destructors" language bin, and felt like it wouldn't be suitable for the kind of systems-level programming you can use C++ for. Also, tooling was bad. My impression was "decent enough language, but I might as well use C#".

Isn't this what Go was designed for?-Deozaan (July 25, 2016, 05:09 PM)
--- End quote ---
Go was designed by people who haven't heard about languages newer than C.

I'm currently working my way through "The Go Programming Language", and there's a lot of things that seem really ill-conceived for a language designed in modern times. I tries to be systems-level, but has garbage collection (loss of determinism), but still has pointer/non-pointer types - which affects class (or, well, not classes, because Go) design. Also, while having GC, it doesn't have exceptions, so you're back to C-style "let's check for and propagate errors alle the time!". It doesn't have generics, leading to really awful code involving interface{} (aka Java/C# Object), and eschews modern language constructs because "We hire kiddos straight out of college and they don't grok advanced features" - come on, even Java has moved beyond manually iterating data types in favor of modern collections framework.

Go seems like a decent enough language if you need to write small trivial console applications, utilities that Unix-style orchestrate other utilities, etc... but I don't really like it. It also has bad tooling, and a totally insane excuse for library management. As I understand it, you kinda either pull in libraries from a GitHub master branch, or you copy out the source code for a specific version in the source tree of each and every of your projects that use that library.

---

I like the tidbits I've had time to read about Rust, but haven't had time to look properly at it.

MilesAhead:

I just picked it up at the library.  This is the same author who wrote The Dark Fields, which was the impetus for the Limitless movie.  After finishing that novel I saw why the word "dark" was in the title.

If this one holds my attention in similar fashion then I'm likely to read all the fiction available from Glynn.  I'll find out later this afternoon.

rjbull:

'[Vyleta is] the heir to the throne left empty since
the death of Graham Greene. Yes, he's that damn good'
SAN FRANCISCO BOOK REVIEW

Vienna, 1939. Professor Speckstein's dog has been brutally killed and
he wants to know why. But these are uncharitable times and one must
be careful where one probes... When an unexpected house call leads
Doctor Beer to Speckstein's apartment, he finds himself in the bedroom
of Zuzka, the professor's niece. Wide-eyed, flirtatious and not detectably
ill, Zuzka leads the young doctor to her window and reveals a disturbing
view of the neighbours across the courtyard. Does one of them have
blood on their hands? Beer reluctantly becomes embroiled in an
enquiry that forces him to face the dark realities of Nazi rule.

'Nimble, nuanced, fierce, scrupulous' TLS

'A compelling rumination on watching and watchfulness,
served up with Nabokovian glee' GUARDIAN

'Truly a work of art ... one of the best — and most quietly
disturbing — books of the year' NATIONAL POST

'A sharp and confident novel that captures the social
paranoia and mistrust fomented by Nazism ... Vyleta's
subtly engaging thriller is tense with violent acts'
INDEPENDENT

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index