ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What books are you reading?

<< < (143/212) > >>

mouser:
Effective Modern C++: 42 Specific Ways to Improve Your Use of C++11 and C++14, by Scott Meyers
https://www.amazon.com/Effective-Modern-Specific-Ways-Improve/dp/1491903996

As a long time C++ coder, I'm still skeptical of the benefits to releasing new versions of C++, but it's a good book, and one of those books where you learn interesting things about language design.  Note: Not suitable for learning C++ only for those with lots of C++ coding experience.

Josh:

So, fresh off of my "The Martian" kick, I decided to learn more about the Mars Rover, Curiosity. As such, the next book in my line-up is "Mars Rover Curiosity: An Inside Account from Curiosity's Chief Engineer". This book details the challenges facing the team who built the most complex spacecraft ever designed. I am about half way through and the project was just extended from a 2009 launch date to 2011.

It really amazes me just how many topics covered in "The Martian" by Andy Weir are actually mentioned by the engineers who built Curiosity. Great read so far!

panzer:

MilesAhead:

I just started the novel that was the basis of the movie Limitless.

The Dark Fields by Alan Glynn

I am still only about six chapters in.  The writing style is fine. I just wish the font was a bit darker.

Edit: I have about 20 pages left to read.  If you liked the move Limitless definitely read this book.  Several things that drove me crazy in the movie were handled much more logically and made much more sense in the novel.

exjoburger:
Two books which I've been reading for a while now (although I have finished a handful in-between):

Columbine by Dave Cullen - heavy, in depth look without sensationalism.
 and
 Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson - IMO the Jobs biography by which others are measured.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version