ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What books are you reading?

<< < (136/212) > >>

wraith808:
I didn't know this. I wont post here anymore ...
-panzer (May 01, 2016, 06:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

You can post here... that's not what Tom was saying.  Just post things that you're reading and you think worthy after reading to share.  We don't want just a list of books- what we'd like is a list of books that have been experienced and are being recommended based on that. :)

tomos:
I didn't know this. I wont post here anymore ...
-panzer (May 01, 2016, 06:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

You can post here... that's not what Tom was saying.  Just post things that you're reading and you think worthy after reading to share.  We don't want just a list of books- what we'd like is a list of books that have been experienced and are being recommended based on that. :)
-wraith808 (May 24, 2016, 05:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

ah yes, thanks for saying that wraith  :up:

what we'd like is a list of books that have been experienced and are being recommended based on that. :)
-wraith808 (May 24, 2016, 05:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

I always like to see a comment myself, be it positive or negative -- or just giving us some more info

tomos:
Includes Mrs. Miller's strategy for reading War and Peace, "the only book you'll ever need:"
SpoilerFive-point plan for anyone thinking of taking this book on:

1. Read fifty pages a day. N.B. the Millers both commute by rail, so have a fair amount of dead time to fill][/i]
2. Utilise the list of principal characters at the front.
3. Pay attention! Soon you'll discover that Tolstoy is doing the heavy lifting for you.
4. Don't fret if you are not enjoying the Peace, there will be a bit of War along shortly.
5. When you get to the end, read it again.

Preferred translations, in order:
(1) Louise and Aylmer Maude
(2) Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky
(3) Rosemary Edmonds
Avoid Constance Garnet - "prissy"
-rjbull (May 24, 2016, 04:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

#4 in spoiler :D

holt:
Bambi, A Life in the Woods by Austrian author Felix Salten

MilesAhead:
Emphyrio by Jack Vance.

I read a few of his SciFi novels in the past.  I recently read Ports of Call and that encouraged me to get back into Vance.  What I found charming in Ports of Call, which is about a space freighter with a 4 man crew, was the characters.  Each of the crew members, and just about every citizen of every city on every planet they visit, is a home spun philosopher.  There is some action.  Not on the intergalactic war scale.  But enough to keep the reader from getting anxious to reach the end of the novel.  But what I found appealing was the dialog between the characters.  A lot of fun.

I have just started Emphyrio and have no feel for it yet.  I still do not know what to expect.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version