ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What books are you reading?

<< < (109/212) > >>

Ullie:
I'm just reading the HarryPotter series  :-* - its nicer than the movies!

mouser:
"Consciousness and the Brain: Deciphering How the Brain Codes Our Thoughts" by Stanislas Dehaene.
Just started it, but so far so good.  Looks like a good book to recommend to people who want a more scientific, less fuzzy, take on consciousness.

Having finished this book, I can highly recommend it to anyone interested in the science of consciousness.  It is free of hand-waving and silliness, and is focused on empirical observations rather than philosophical convolution.

You won't find too much computational discussion in the book, and Dehaena's Global Workspace theory is a bit light on details, but I do think it's a step in the right direction, which captures a core piece of what consciousness is.

MerleOne:
Hi all,
I am asking for your help : I am looking for a short Sci-Fi story rather old, where an explorer, suffering from asthma, is captured by an advanced tribe somewhere deep withing a forest or some far away land.  They offer him a cure for asthma, as well as lots of food and nice treatments.  He finally realizes that they are cannibals and intend to eat hime to get his intelligence.  He barely escapes but destroys the device for curing asthma in the process.
It's somewhere in my paper library but since it's a short story, it's rather hard to find and I have not managed to find the right keywords in Google to pinpoint it.
If this rings a bell, that would be great !  Thanks.

MilesAhead:
Continuing with Charles Stross I'm half way through Saturn's Children.  Straightforward fun scifi.  Not much in the way of philosophy. A pleasant read.

I had to quit The Family Trade half way through because it was just too targeted at women.  A Cinderella Story described as such in the novel itself.  If I had used up all the rest of Stross I could suffer through.  So I'll put it to the end of the queue.

mouser:
Faraday, Maxwell, and the Electromagnetic Field: How Two Men Revolutionized Physics Hardcover – by Nancy Forbes

Finished it last week; quite good.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version