ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What books are you reading?

<< < (102/212) > >>

mouser:
For those of you into the Cthulhu mythos, there is a really good new board game set in that world, Eldritch Horror:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/146021/eldritch-horror

Redhat:
I don't know how much non-fiction is appreciated around here, but I'm just starting this...  :Thmbsup:

Civilisation - Niall Ferguson
Winner of the Estoril Global Issues Distinguished Book Prize 2013 Niall Ferguson's Civilization: The Six Killer Apps of Western Power is a vital, brilliant look at the winning tools of power. In 1412, Europe was a miserable backwater ravaged by plague, bad sanitation and incessant war, while the Orient was home to dazzling civilizations. So how did the West come to dominate the Rest? In this vital, brilliant book, selected as a Daily Telegraph Book of the Year, Niall Ferguson reveals the 'killer applications' that did it: competition - How Europe's small, piratical states built modern capitalism; science - How innovation gave the West the military edge; property rights - How the laws of private property built the United States; medicine - How colonialism transformed the world's health; the consumer society - How shopping made the industrial revolution; and the work ethic - How Western religious ideas brought it all together. But has the West now lost its monopoly on these six things? Or is this the end of Western ascendancy? "A dazzling history of Western ideas ...epic". (Economist). "Vivid and fascinating". (Daily Telegraph). "Superb ...brings history alive ...dazzling".
--- End quote ---

http://www.foyles.co.uk/witem/business/civilization-the-six-killer-apps-of,niall-ferguson-9780141044583

tomos:
Civilisation - Niall Ferguson
-Redhat (December 17, 2013, 02:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

sounds very interesting - would be great to hear what you think of it when you get through it!

kyrathaba:
I played Cthulhu some in college. Loved it.

panzer:
Moyes: Me Before You
Boyne: The Terrible Thing That Happened to Barnaby Brocket

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version