ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What books are you reading?

<< < (100/212) > >>

Attronarch:
Currently I'm going through the following:

* Introductory R: A Beginner's Guide to Data Visualisation and Analysis Using R
* Beyond Bullet Points, 3rd Edition
I'm hopping to follow up with R in a Nutshell and R Cookbook.

panzer:
Margrit Kennedy: Interest and Inflation Free Money:
http://userpage.fu-berlin.de/~roehrigw/kennedy/english/Interest-and-inflation-free-money.pdf

kyrathaba:
Terry Maggert's "The Forest Bull"

40hz:
Lovecraft Unbound - an anthology of deliberately modern treatments of Lovecraftian themes, selected and edited by Ellen Datlow.

A 'not bad' collection of new (as in 'inspired by') Lovecraft tales - with some real gems mixed in.

If you're looking for classic Lovecraft, you won't find it here. These are Lovecraft themed stories. Not pastiches or attempts to write a Mythos tale as Lovecraft himself might have written it.

Especially good were Leng by Marc Laidlow; The Crevasse by Dale Bailey and Nathan Ballingrud; Cold Water Survival by Holly Phillips; the absolutely brilliant Houses Under the Sea by (no surprise) Caitlin R. Kiernan. Best however was Sarah Monette and Elizabeth Bear's Mongoose, which is easily the cleverest and most original story in the collection.

Unexpectedly disappointing was long-time Lovecraft admirer Joyce Carol Oates' blatant reworking of the twist in her famous story The Lottery. Ms. Joyce (who we know can write extremely well) provides us only a lame and overly obvious piece called: Commencement.

All in all...not bad.

But I still think the original works of Lovecraft (and some of his circle of contemporaries) were far better.

What books are you reading?

(So does Cthulhu!)

superboyac:
ok...40hz...what is the source of that awesome Cthulhu illustration?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version