ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What books are you reading?

<< < (87/212) > >>

TaoPhoenix:
Just read a couple of books on Django in my ongoing quest to design the next best web framework..
-mouser (May 01, 2013, 07:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

Maybe these guys can help!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22249490

:P

40hz:
Just read a couple of books on Django in my ongoing quest to design the next best web framework..
-mouser (May 01, 2013, 07:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

Maybe these guys can help!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22249490

:P
-TaoPhoenix (May 01, 2013, 08:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

^What's up with these Google AdSense robot pseudo-posts in the forums? :huh:

Something new DoCo is doing?

UPDATE:

Oops! Never mind. Just found the other thread discussing it.

I skipped reading it earlier because I personally despise most things Google.  ;D

tomos:
^What's up with these Google AdSense robot pseudo-posts in the forums? :huh:

Something new DoCo is doing?
-40hz (May 01, 2013, 08:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

see Google ad test
doesnt seem to be going very well... (scroll down to the screenshots)

mouser:
Reading SQL Antipatterns:

Nice to read discussions of lots of dilemnas in database design, and a good balanced discussion of when you might bend the "good practice" rules, and why you might not want to..

My only dissapointment is there are no good solutions to many of these dilemmas (at least using an sql RDBMS), as I was hoping to discover :(

40hz:
@mouser - Thx for finding that book!

I love SQL. Well...ok...maybe not love it. But I find it fun and very useful.

The real problem with SQL is "it is what it is" IMHO. Cobb had a design that proved inefficient to implement in all of it's mathematical majesty. So what we have for RDBMS systems is a compromise between his concept and our needing to do some useful things with it - but without getting needlessly bogged down in too much mathematic purity. SQL, by virtue of the fact it works with with the RDBMS model, inherits that same problem.

Maybe someday we'll have a better database model (and query language), and books like SQL Antipatterns won't be necessary any more. But I doubt it since they have yet to find a single database model that is a perfect fit for every case.

Now excuse me. I gotta go get me a copy of this book.  :Thmbsup: 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version