ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What books are you reading?

<< < (71/212) > >>

Paul Keith:

Nothing notable. Just like the cover.

iphigenie:
Aliette de Bodard's trilogy - I read it on ebook (direct from angryrobot) but I think I'll get the book so I can lend it and make R read it

Fantasy but in a non euro-medieval setting. Really got me, and I am picky and jaded when it comes to fantasy or magical realism. It feels truly different - very different type of belief system and society - and the books are structured as detective stories as much as heroic fantasy

http://aliettedebodard.com/bibliography/novels/

[attachimg=#1][/attachimg]

PS: her blog also lists science fiction, learning vietnamese and vietnamese/chinese cooking, and maths.

rjbull:
Fantasy but in a non euro-medieval setting. Really got me, and I am picky and jaded when it comes to fantasy or magical realism.-iphigenie (September 10, 2012, 02:16 AM)
--- End quote ---
There are some good fantasy series set in pseudo-mediaeval, pseudo-North European milieus, but it's been done to death.  It's a refreshing change to find something different, so thanks for that one.

FWIW, authors of fantasies that I've enjoyed, who set their works in relatively unusual worlds, include Sarah Ash, Garth Nix, Caroline Stevermer, Michael Marshall Smith, Steph Swainston, Naomi Novik, P.C. Hodgell, Chris Wooding, Jonathan Stroud, Marcus Sedgwick, Jan Siegel/Amanda Hemingway, Chris Wooding, and D.M. Cornish.

iphigenie:
Fantasy but in a non euro-medieval setting. Really got me, and I am picky and jaded when it comes to fantasy or magical realism.-iphigenie (September 10, 2012, 02:16 AM)
--- End quote ---
There are some good fantasy series set in pseudo-mediaeval, pseudo-North European milieus, but it's been done to death.  It's a refreshing change to find something different, so thanks for that one.

FWIW, authors of fantasies that I've enjoyed, who set their works in relatively unusual worlds, include Sarah Ash, Garth Nix, Caroline Stevermer, Michael Marshall Smith, Steph Swainston, Naomi Novik, P.C. Hodgell, Chris Wooding, Jonathan Stroud, Marcus Sedgwick, Jan Siegel/Amanda Hemingway, and Chris Wooding.
-rjbull (September 10, 2012, 03:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

Enough names I recognise to suggest you will indeed enjoy these books.

And I notice I managed in my writing and rewriting of those 3 lines to loose the bit that says that the setting is pre-european-invasion Mexico (with huge liberties taken, of course).

Other books/series in the fantasy vein enjoyed recently:

Adrian Tchaikovsky’s Shadows of the Apt. The premise doesn't quite work if you think too much about it, but if you don't try to imagine "how would this world have happened" and go with the flow, it's extremely enjoyable. The clash of civilisation models, industrial revolution and the fact that the characters are not simple good/evil but have understandable motivations and conflicts of loyalties. Also, he has no qualms killing characters so this keeps you on your toes when reading.

The Inheritance Trilogy by N. K. Jemisin - very mythological/ancient epic feeling, kind of weird, About geopolitics, change, gods and mortals and their relationship. It all feels both familiar and alien and utterly fresh - although I don't think this format will work for more than a few books.

mahesh2k:
Building Wordpress Themes from Scratch - Joe casabona

Not a good book. I personally think of it as waste of time because they focused on un-necessary things instead of putting things the easy way.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version