ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What books are you reading?

<< < (55/212) > >>

Shades:
@IainB:
The song from Iron Maiden is great too   ;)

panzer:
George R. R. Martin: Dying of the Light
Good idea, but I didn't like the characters much...

40hz:
Two books by Peter Mayle:

A Dog's Life - first person narrative from the dog's point of view. The thoughts and reminiscences of a dog of dubious parentage living in Provence. Part Mark Twain, part Boswell, part Jerome K. Jerome. A fun little read if you like this sort of thing. (I do.)

If, like me, you have a logical turn of mind, a self-indulgent nature, and a frequently dormant conscience, there is a certain aspect of human behavior that can put an immense strain on the patience. It's spoken of, always in sanctimonious tones, as moderation - not too much of this, not too much of that, diet and abstinence and restraint, colonic irrigation, cold baths before breakfast, and regular readings of morally uplifting tracts. You must have come across all this and worse if you have any friends from California. Personally, I'm a great believer in the philosophy of live and let live, as long as you keep your proclivities to yourself. Follow the road of denial if that's what you want, and all I'll say is more fool you and spare me the details.
--- End quote ---

Chasing Cezanne: A Novel - one of the better art theft caper (with a touch of humor) stories out there. Great characters, fun plot, perfect pacing, elegant locations, pretty women, a bon vivant art forger, and Mayle's trademark urbane and witty verbal exchanges.

Pick one or both. Either is the perfect way to pass and hour or two, snugged up in your favorite chair, while nursing a nice glass of something special on a quiet winter's afternoon with the house completely to yourself...

Ah! Such bliss...

:)

rjbull:
"Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen"-berry (December 31, 2011, 09:27 PM)
--- End quote ---
I heard part of a program on BBC Radio that suggested that the Greeks who rowed triremes might have been the greatest every athletes - and that their like has died out.

Finished "A Game of Thrones: A Song of Ice and Fire". Great.-berry (December 31, 2011, 09:27 PM)
--- End quote ---
That's been out for some years, but seems to be getting very popular.  My county library stock has multiple copies, at least one of which has its home at the branch I use, but it's never on the shelf and there's a constant waiting list.

berry:
"Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen"-berry (December 31, 2011, 09:27 PM)
--- End quote ---
I heard part of a program on BBC Radio that suggested that the Greeks who rowed triremes might have been the greatest every athletes - and that their like has died out.-rjbull (January 02, 2012, 01:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't doubt that. The greeks strove for arete in athletic performance. The "Hiddent Tribe, Superathletes" is referring to the Tarahumara Indians of Mexico, noted for their endurance running.

Finished "A Game of Thrones: A Song of Ice and Fire". Great.-berry (December 31, 2011, 09:27 PM)
--- End quote ---
That's been out for some years, but seems to be getting very popular.  My county library stock has multiple copies, at least one of which has its home at the branch I use, but it's never on the shelf and there's a constant waiting list.
-rjbull
--- End quote ---

I believe the surge in popularity is due in large part to the HBO series, which is quite excellent so far.

cheers

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version