ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What books are you reading?

<< < (54/212) > >>

kyrathaba:
Here are the books I read in 2011:

Velocity, by Dean Koontz
    Shadowfires, by Dean Koontz
    One Door Away From Heaven, by Dean Koontz
    Night Chills, by Dean Koontz
    Marker, by Robin Cook
    The Ends of the Circle, by Paul O. Williams
    House of Thunder, by Dean Koontz
    Ring, by Stephen Baxter
    The Shadows of God, by J. Gregory Keyes
    Empire of Unreason, by J. Gregory Keyes
    A Calculus of Angels, by J. Gregory Keyes
    Newton’s Cannon, by J. Gregory Keyes
    Iron Council, by China Mieville
    Printcrime, by Cory Doctorow
    Perdido Street Station, by China Mieville
    The Omega Point, by Whitley Streiber
    Plague Ship, by Andre Norton
    By the Light of the Moon, by Dean Koontz
    The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, by Stieg Larsson
    The Gap Cycle: Forbidden Knowledge, by Stephen R. Donaldson
    The Gap Cycle: A Dark And Hungry God Arises, by Stephen R. Donaldson
    The Gap Cycle: The Gap Into Madness, by Stephen R. Donaldson
    The Gap Cycle: This Day All Gods Die, by Stephen R. Donaldson
    Mission Earth: The Invaders Plan, by L. Ron Hubbard
    Foundation, by Isaac Asimov
    The Forge of God, by Greg Bear
    Lucifer’s Hammer, by Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle
    Calculating God, by Robert J. Sawyer
    The Blade Itself, by Joe Abercrombie
    Before They Are Hanged, by Joe Abercrombie
    Last Argument of Kings, by Joe Abercrombie
    The Kingkiller Chronicles: The Name of the Wind, by Patrick Rothfuss
    The Kingkiller Chronicles: The Wise Man’s Fear, by Patrick Rothfuss
    Blindsight, by Peter Watts
    Anathem, by Neal Stephenson
    The Kinshield Legacy, by K. C. May
    The Door Through Space, by Marion Zimmer Bradley (c1961)
    Deathworld, by Harry Harrison

--- End quote ---

IainB:
@kyrathaba: Crikey! That's some list. Thanks for posting it.
I looked through it - recognized most of those titles. I think I have read roughly 90% of those books/stories. I shall follow up some of them with interest.

I am reading an interesting book at the moment, as I explained in a separate post Re: Thoughts in remembrance of 911
But her question - "...why did Hitler hate the Jews so much?" - was what got me reading Mein Kampf. I wanted to be able to understand his rationale for what he did, and explain it to her. I told her that was why I was reading it, and that I had not actually wanted to read it, though I had been steeling myself for the time when I would have to.
I am reading this English translation, here, if you want to take a look: Adolf Hitler - Mein Kampf (James Murphy translation).pdf

I am finding myself quite fascinated by its cold, insidious horror. It seems reasonably lucid, coherent, and well-written.
-IainB (December 31, 2011, 10:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

By the way, I am reading the book with the latest Adobe Acrobat Reader, which has some good highlighting and note-taking features, which I have not used before, and which notes can be saved with the file. So I am saving the file as a separate annotated copy (i.e., together with its notes).
I usually make notes about a book I am studying, but they are often handwritten on paper sheets, and to be doing it this way is the first time for me with AAR. The notes you make are searchable in AAR too. Quite handy. I shall be interested to see if/how they appear in Qiqqa (my document reference management system).

berry:
Recently finished "Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen" by Christopher McDougall. I found it very educational and entertaining, but I'm a used-to-be runner.

Currently "Steve Jobs" by Walter Isaacson. Also very interesting. Quite a fascinating character.

Finished "A Game of Thrones: A Song of Ice and Fire". Great. Holding off on "A Clash of Kings" lest it spoil the HBO series which so far has done the book proud.

cheers

kyrathaba:
Crikey! That's some list. Thanks for posting it.
I looked through it - recognized most of those titles. I think I have read roughly 90% of those books/stories. I shall follow up some of them with interest.
--- End quote ---

@IainB: Thanks! I post books-read as I finish them, here on my blog.

IainB:
Recently finished "Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen" by Christopher McDougall. I found it very educational and entertaining, but I'm a used-to-be runner.
-berry (December 31, 2011, 09:27 PM)
--- End quote ---
Did you ever read "The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner" by Alan Sillitoe? I liked that a lot, and it motivated me to start cross-country running when I was about 12 years old. I ran over several of the Welsh hills in Snowdonia National Park (where I lived).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version