ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What books are you reading?

<< < (42/212) > >>

KynloStephen66515:
Being fiction, and going off his own memory, I guess it would be hard to recall every single event...-Stephen66515 (January 15, 2011, 03:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

Do you mean it's fiction or non-fiction? Or is it a fictionalization of real events? I read Andy McNabb's first couple of books and enjoyed them, but never got the impression that they were factual.
-Darwin (January 15, 2011, 09:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, according to him, everything in the book actually happened, so i am somewhat inclined to believe him, although some of the stuff in the book makes you wonder whether he would be allowed to publish under the Secrets Act.

Who knows  :huh:

And yeah, I meant non-fiction...always get that the wrong way around (non-fiction being based on actual events)

kyrathaba:
Just finished "Forbidden Knowledge", the second in Stephen R. Donaldson's 5-book "Gap" series.  Pretty entertaining.  Now reading Book III: "A Dark and Hungry God Arises".

Darwin:
Being fiction, and going off his own memory, I guess it would be hard to recall every single event...-Stephen66515 (January 15, 2011, 03:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

Do you mean it's fiction or non-fiction? Or is it a fictionalization of real events? I read Andy McNabb's first couple of books and enjoyed them, but never got the impression that they were factual.
-Darwin (January 15, 2011, 09:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, according to him, everything in the book actually happened, so i am somewhat inclined to believe him, although some of the stuff in the book makes you wonder whether he would be allowed to publish under the Secrets Act.

Who knows  :huh:

And yeah, I meant non-fiction...always get that the wrong way around (non-fiction being based on actual events)
-Stephen66515 (January 16, 2011, 09:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

Heh, heh - no worries! I still get "secular" and "non-secular" backwards (but don't often have occasion to use either in any context, mind you).

40hz:
About half way through The Art of 3-D Computer Animation and Effects, 4th Edition, 2009 by Isaac Victor Kaplow.

This is the update to his previous The Art of 3-D : Computer Animation and Imaging, 2nd Edition, 2000 and The Art of 3-D Computer Animation and Imaging (Design & Graphic Design), 1996  both of which I've read and own.

Very good introduction to the theory and techniques behind digital composition. Not too much in the way of how-tos for specific software or platforms. This book is more about the "theory of cooking" and "understanding the ingredients" than it is a cookbook. If you want step-by-step instructions for individual CGI apps, you'll have to go elsewhere. However, if you want to understand how all those complex CGI programs actually work, you'd do well to start with this book.

Well written, very understandable, and nicely illustrated. In many respects, you can find almost as much inspiration as information in this book. This edition joins its elder siblings in my main bookcase.

If you're interested in CGI and animation - and you want to understand what you're being told (or just stop bluffing about it to other people) give this book a read.

Note: since this is the 4th edition, I must have missed one somewhere along the line. But if so, Amazon doesn't list it. :huh:

It's amazing how much has changed for CGI since 1996. And even more amazing - sometimes how little.  ;D 8)

superboyac:
nice one, 40hz.  I want to read, but I have to resist.  I need to finish my work!!  I've always wondered how they get it done...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version