ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What books are you reading?

<< < (40/212) > >>

superboyac:
Ha!  I just KNEW you had read that book.  Seriously, I was like 99.5% sure.

rjbull:
A review in the New Yorker
Man of Mystery
Why do people love Stieg Larsson’s novels?
by Joan Acocella January 10, 2011

Very critical initially* (or should I say superficially? - critical of the writing & translation) but also a very interesting indepth analysis
-tomos (January 07, 2011, 10:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hmmm...  I'm glad I'm just a reader, not a critic!

For another up-to-the-minute, computers and Internet included (if not to Salander's level) gripping and frequently violent series, try Michael Marshall's trilogy The Straw Men, The Lonley Dead (UK title) / The Upright Man (US title), and Blood of Angels.

Current book in progress: The Neverending Story by Michael Ende.

tomos:
A review in the New Yorker
Man of Mystery
Why do people love Stieg Larsson’s novels?
by Joan Acocella January 10, 2011

Very critical initially* (or should I say superficially? - critical of the writing & translation) but also a very interesting indepth analysis
-tomos (January 07, 2011, 10:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

-rjbull (January 07, 2011, 05:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, I didnt mean to post it to knock his books - it was the psychological stuff I found interesting.

kyrathaba:
I'm 70% of the way through the first of his books.  Pretty good reading, I must say.

rjbull:
-rjbull (January 07, 2011, 05:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, I didnt mean to post it to knock his books - it was the psychological stuff I found interesting.
-tomos (January 08, 2011, 03:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

I didn't think you did  :)  The critic seems to get paid to pull things apart and put people down.  One of the first things she said was that Larsson was left-wing.  I wonder if that coloured her American view too strongly and she went into knee-jerk attack mode.  Rather the same as the uneasiness the establishment had at publishing Michael de Larrabeiti's Borribles trilolgy with its viciously anti-establishment message, see e.g. his obituary in The Independent.  Wikipedia page here.

Having said that, I wondered about various aspects of Larsson's books (the first two, haven't read the third yet).  I can't quite work out just why they're so compulsively readable, but they certainly are.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version