ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What books are you reading?

<< < (37/212) > >>

kyrathaba:
kyrathaba (and any other Martin fans), did you know that HBO are making a series based on the Song of Ice and Fire books called Game of Thrones? It looks completely badass.

--- End quote ---

Yep, I've watched some trailers on YouTube.  There's also a roleplaying game based upon it.

mouser:
Just finished "Dynamic Coordination in the Brain" by Malsburg, Phillips, and Singer:

Big disappointment -- expected much better.  Looks like it was one of those workshop meetings that got turned into a book and no one tried very hard on their chapters.  I happen to think understanding the role of time and dynamics is the big missing piece in understanding computational underpinnings of the brain, and I was hoping this book would be a meaningful contribution to the field.  Wasn't.

I'd recommend Scott Kelso's older "Dynamic Patterns:The Self-Organization of Brain and Behavior" book way over this one.

Next up is Edmund Rolls' massive "Memory, Attention, and Decision-Making: A unifying computational neuroscience approach".

Crush:
I started reading Perry Rhodan. All of the inventors are dead now but they personally signed this special exemplar. It´s so huge I think I´ll only read a few of them or at least the first big book.
It´s the biggest and oldest SF-Story of the world - written a very long time before Star Wars or Star Trek came up with thousands of releases. It´s more technical than all others showing up with 3D-pictures on the silver books, detailed UFO-construction paintings and deep descriptions of top notch high physics phenomena. This is written technology - others are only story. Very few of them have been translated to english.

kyrathaba:
About to finish "By the Light of the Moon", which will be my 19th Dean Koontz novel.  After that, I switch from paperback to my Kindle, where I was able to obtain a $4.99 eCopy of O'Reilly's "C# 3.0 Design Patterns", by Judith Bishop.

rjbull:

* Current book in progress: The Girl Who Played With Fire by Stieg Larsson, 2nd of the Millenium trilogy.  He sure keeps you turning pages...
* Just finished: The Assassin's Edge by Juliet E. McKenna, the fifth and last of her entertaining Tales of Einarinn fantasy series.
* Just finished: The Leaping Hare by George Ewart Evans, his compilation of folklore concerning the hare, a creature associated with luck (mostly ill-luck), the White Goddess, witches, and the moon.  This is the book mentioned by Sir Terry Pratchett in I Shall Wear Midnight, the latest Tiffany Aching story.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version