ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What books are you reading?

<< < (22/212) > >>

mouser:
I've been reading Eric Raymond's short collection of essays on Open Source software, "The Cathedral and the Bazaar".

If you're an Open Source fan you probably have heard about or even read Eric's essay of the same name -- but a couple of the other essay's are quite interesting and tackle seriously the goal of explaining and justifying Open Source from an economic theory standpoint -- in many ways a quite conservative-leaning economic theory (which surprised me but may help explain why the article/book has been so influential).

I am still struggling to get a grip on the full ramifications of open sourcing software from the standpoint of an independent developer, and the book is raising a few issues i didn't think about, while at the same time confirming some of my concerns.  Definitely recommended.

rjbull:
On a thriller kick:

* (just finished)  The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson.    This one puts your life on hold until you finish it!
* (just finished)  Hypothermia by Arnaldur IndriĆ°ason.    Latest in his Reykjavik series.
* The Dead of Winter by Rennie Airth.    Very good, set in London and southern England during WWII.  The earlier two, set just after WWI, were absolutely excellent.

ljbirns:
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson.    This one puts your life on hold until you finish it!
--- End quote ---

The Girl Who Played with Fire                                do the same

kyrathaba:
I've recently read:

Armageddon Reef by David Weber
By Heresies Distressed by David Weber
The Left Hand of God by Paul Hoffman

Currently reading:

Life Expectancy by Dean Koontz

4wd:
I've started re-reading all the Necroscopew series, currently on The Last Aerie:

Brian Lumley has also written books relating to the Cthulhu mythology, (which I've yet to read).

Life Expectancy by Dean Koontz-kyrathaba (October 05, 2010, 08:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

Another of my limited number of favourite authors, his Frankenstein series is excellent.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version