ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What books are you reading?

<< < (19/212) > >>

ewemoa:
We received the blender this morning
-Deozaan (June 03, 2010, 01:13 PM)
--- End quote ---
Cool!  Thanks for sharing the details of your experiences  :up:

May I ask how the experience of cleaning is and also the noise level when blending?  We have a VitaMix [1], and the cleaning experience of it (particularly near the blades) leaves much to be desired.  Although in retrospect, it has helped me to consider the issue of cleaning and maintenance when considering new additions to our household :)

[1] To be fair though, our model is from some years back -- I don't know what their latest stuff is like.

Deozaan:
We received the blender this morning
-Deozaan (June 03, 2010, 01:13 PM)
--- End quote ---
Cool!  Thanks for sharing the details of your experiences  :up:

May I ask how the experience of cleaning is and also the noise level when blending?  We have a VitaMix [1], and the cleaning experience of it (particularly near the blades) leaves much to be desired.  Although in retrospect, it has helped me to consider the issue of cleaning and maintenance when considering new additions to our household :)-ewemoa (June 03, 2010, 03:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

Blendtec uses a square shaped jar rather than the standard circular jar. I didn't clean it and I wasn't paying close attention. I was putting away the dry dishes while my wife washed the jar and some other dishes. She cleaned the jar in a matter of a few seconds though, and didn't seem to have any troubles. The bottom of the jar has lots of space around the blade so it's easy to reach in all the way to the bottom and wipe around if you had to.

What books are you reading? What books are you reading?

As for the noise, I didn't think it was particularly noisy (for a blender) but it did make my wife jump when I showed her. To be fair though, she is a bit jumpy at sudden noises. I believe the motor has more horsepower than the Vitamix, but to be honest I don't know if that would make a difference with the noise levels.

EDIT: Added pics

ewemoa:
Thanks for the details and pics  :Thmbsup:

It definitely looks much easier to clean than the VitaMix machines.  I wonder if there are devices where one can remove the bottom portion so the cleaning can be a bit safer...

Update: Some VitaMix pics for comparison:

Deozaan:
You have a square jar too? I know a couple people with VitaMix blenders and theirs are all really tall, skinny, circular jars.

I wouldn't want to risk removing the bottom portion (I assume you mean removing the blade and the gear thingy part that goes into the motor) since the Blendtec has multiple warnings about the proper care of that seal.

ewemoa:
I wouldn't want to risk removing the bottom piece for a similar reason.  Here's what the owner manual has to say:

Recommended blade assembly removal with wrench
(Caution: Do not remove blades unless absolutely necessary!)

--- End quote ---

I have this memory / image-in-mind of a jar that has a bottom piece (which has a blade attached) that can be unscrewed from the jar.  Perhaps such things used to exist (still exist even), though I wonder about leakage...

One of the nice things about your device is that there are only two blades -- looks less accident prone while cleaning.

BTW, I measure the height of our jar -- it was 26.5 cm (a little shy of 10.5 inches?).

Since I've been contributing to off-topic-ness, I will confess to something else I've been reading -- Programming in Lua, 1st Edition (online version).  It beats reading the reference manual by itself, although it covers version 5.0 of the language instead of 5.1 -- for which the following might be handy:

http://lua-users.org/wiki/MigratingToFiveOne

One of the nice things about their being a plain HTML online version is that it can be read via a mobile device (e.g. an Android device).  I was also able to create an offline version for a recent trip to an area with limited connectivity :up: though the Android devices I've had access to seem terrible at handling offline content with HTML fragment identifiers  :down:

For some reason, I found the "About the Book" section admirable:

About the BookI started writing this book in the winter of 1998. (Here, in the southern hemisphere, that means the middle of the year. And "winter" is more like a mild autumn.) At that time, Lua was still in version 3.1. Since then, Lua went through two big changes, first to version 4.0, in 2000, then to version 5.0, in 2003.

It is quite obvious that those changes had a big impact on the book. Some parts lost their raison d'ĂȘtre, such as the detailed explanation around the complexity of upvalues. Whole chapters were rewritten, such as those about the C API, and whole chapters were created, such as the one about coroutines.

What is not obvious, however, is the big impact that the writing of this book had on the evolution of Lua. Not by chance, some of the biggest changes in the language were in areas not yet covered by the book at the time of the change. As I worked through the book, sometimes I suddenly got stuck in a chapter. I could not figure out how to start or even how to motivate it. It is when you try to explain how to use something that you better feel how easy it is to use it (or not). So, those difficulties were strong hints that some things in Lua needed improvement. Other times I succeeded in writing a chapter, only to discover, later, that nobody could understand or agree with what I wrote. Frequently it was my fault (as I writer), but occasionally we spotted another corner of the language that deserved some improvement. (For instance, the transition from upvalues to lexical scoping was triggered by complaints over a feeble attempt, in an earlier draft of this book, to describe upvalues as a kind of lexical scoping.)

The changes of the language deferred the completion of this book; now the completion of this book will probably defer significant changes in the language. There are at least two reasons for that: First, Lua 5.0 is cleaner and more mature than earlier versions of the language (partially thanks to the book). Second, the book adds weight to the culture around the language and therefore increases its inertia. This cultural-weight increase is the first of my main goals with this book. My second main goal is to increase even more the spread of Lua.

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version