ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What books are you reading?

<< < (9/212) > >>

momonan:
Just finished listening to Nassim Taleb's "The Black Swan," poking holes in most probabability theories and generally making fun of their proponents.  He emphasizes the randomness and effect of extraordinary events.  The reader of the audio version has a real sarcastic edge, which makes otherwise dry material quite amusing.   See him before congress on the stimulus program:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X7pNFbGjz0&feature=related

It made a lasting impression on me, but I'd be curious what other think about Taleb's approach -- not to mention his trouble-making style.  Trying to see how his theory might fit into my everyday life.

SKesselman:
I'm reading Full Catastrophe Living.
It's boring, but thankfully it came with a very effective class I took, recently: Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR).

I'm also reading 2 David Lieberman books which have titles too embarrassing to post - which is too bad, because they're simply about human nature, & how to turn bad (or potentially bad) situations around. Each book has a chapter on a certain dilemma - how to make people feel more empowered, stop gossiping, get into a better mood, feel more confident, etc. Another book is based more on groups & how to get people to get along with each other, stop jealous behavior & verbal abuse, cultivate respect for themselves & one another, help each other out, etc. They're quick, easy reads that attempt to simplify complicated situations or destructive behavior between people - even difficult people - all without hurting anyone, or being secretly, selfishly manipulative.

I think it's good info for people like myself, who enjoy very much getting along with others, but who've found themselves holding back constructive empathy or helpfulness out of fear (or experience) of getting taken advantage of, later on. Perhaps these quick solutions can help others like myself promote harmonious relationships, and express kindness and caring, while still being heard and respected.

(Sorry, it's late. I guess that could've been worded a little better, huh?)

Good night!!!  :)

Darwin:
I'm also reading 2 David Lieberman books which have titles too embarrassing to post - which is too bad, because they're simply about human nature, & how to turn bad (or potentially bad) situations around.
-SKesselman (February 07, 2010, 05:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

?? How can a book title be too embarrassing to post?!  :o

You're among friends here, let 'er rip!

SKesselman:
I'm also reading 2 David Lieberman books which have titles too embarrassing to post - which is too bad, because they're simply about human nature, & how to turn bad (or potentially bad) situations around.
-SKesselman (February 07, 2010, 05:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

?? How can a book title be too embarrassing to post?!  :o

You're among friends here, let 'er rip!
-Darwin (February 07, 2010, 10:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

Because the titles, "Get Anyone to do Anything" & "How to Change Anybody" sound pretty desperate. IMO.

They're really just harmless little books. Just, you know, tips & tricks...
Other than to catch your attention, I don't know why he titles his books so dramatically.
There's no hypnosis, NLP, mind control tactics, spells or anything like that.
I need something that will work this time  ;D .

Darwin:
Heh, heh - sorry to have badgered you into confessing that, Sarah  ;D Seriously, though, I don't think the titles are that  embarrassing  :P

I'm a father of two, a husband, and I've spent a fair amount of time in middle management - I know all about the desperation that comes from trying to get others to do things!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version