ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What books are you reading?

<< < (173/212) > >>

panzer:
Dumped:

panzer:

IainB:
I'm not sure what @panzer means by "dumped", but when he referred to "Flashman" (by George MacDonald Fraser) I would have to say that I found the Flashman books that I read in the series to be very witty and amusing - I recall that I read Flashman first, and later The Flashman Papers.
There is an interesting Guardian obituary for George MacDonald Fraser, who died aged 82 in 2008.
Wikipedia have a useful entry about the Flashman novel.

The Flashman books might not be so easy to understand or appreciate by those who do not have a reasonable knowledge of English literature or of the history of British-Indian colonisation.

exjoburger:
Taking a break from some of the books I'm plodding through on my Kindle (Columbine by Dave Cullen, Steve Jobs by
Walter Isaacson), A book I'm currently reading is:

Persuader by Lee Child (A Jack Reacher novel) 

I haven't seen any of the Tom Cruise movies, but the description of Jack Reacher has him at six foot five or so - and I keep on thinking how much bigger taller and tougher the guy in the novel is in comparison to the actor.

wraith808:
Taking a break from some of the books I'm plodding through on my Kindle (Columbine by Dave Cullen, Steve Jobs by
Walter Isaacson), A book I'm currently reading is:

Persuader by Lee Child (A Jack Reacher novel) 

I haven't seen any of the Tom Cruise movies, but the description of Jack Reacher has him at six foot five or so - and I keep on thinking how much bigger taller and tougher the guy in the novel is in comparison to the actor.
-exjoburger (June 06, 2017, 01:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't view the actors in the movies as anything according to the descriptions in the novels.  Lestat is also not described in a way that would make one think "Tom Cruise", but he was excellent in the role.  I find that those who look at the novels in the same manner as the movie/TV series end up being disappointed by what is truthfully in my opinion the most superficial thing about the descriptions.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version