ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What books are you reading?

<< < (121/212) > >>

MilesAhead:

The Forever War

It looks like they may finally be making a movie from it.

I am only 30 or 40 pages in.  But the writing style is fine and the plot does not lag.  It may bother some people that the future dates used in the story have gone by and we still don't have faster than light space travel.  It doesn't bother me.  It is a novel after all.  I don't see that the dates matter.

Edit:  But it may be part of the genius of H.G. Wells that his hero in The Time Machine traveled way into the future like 80,000 years A.D. or something like that.  It will take a long time for the critics to complain about the future date arriving and the predictions being off the mark.  Also Wells has the advantage of being dead.  Much easier to maintain a deaf ear with that strategy.  ;)

f0dder:
It looks like they may finally be making a movie from it.-MilesAhead (October 05, 2015, 02:58 PM)
--- End quote ---
I hope they don't - it's a pretty good book, no reason to screw it up with a bad teal-and-orange Hollywood crapover :)

MilesAhead:
It looks like they may finally be making a movie from it.-MilesAhead (October 05, 2015, 02:58 PM)
--- End quote ---
I hope they don't - it's a pretty good book, no reason to screw it up with a bad teal-and-orange Hollywood crapover :)
-f0dder (October 05, 2015, 03:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah.  Once in awhile they surprise me with a decent adaptation.  But not often enough.  :)

That reminds me when I saw Ayn Rand at Ford Hall Forum in Boston.  She took questions from the audience after her lecture.  The person asked about the status of the rights to Atlas Shrugged.  She answered "safely in my possession."  Of course that got a round of applause and cheers.  I watched the first third of the Shrugged movie trilogy.  I won't bother with the rest.  Other than money changing hands I did not see the point of making that flick.  A puppet show would have done a better job of conveying the ideas.  And I always hated puppet shows.  :)

panzer:
If anyone is interested:
Dedoimedo is giving his books for free:
http://www.thelostwordsbooks.com/2015/10/17/more-free-books-2/

MilesAhead:
Dedoimedo
-panzer (October 21, 2015, 03:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

I get "server not found" on that link.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page