ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What books are you reading?

<< < (61/212) > >>

MerleOne:
That happens all the time with TV shows BTW (sorry for being slightly OT).  I am thinking for instance to SAAB (Space Above and Beyond) which had a few nice points but was cancelled with more questions opened than closed.

TaoPhoenix:
Here it is, although in Alpha form. (Edit: My project for a layout plugin stalled.)

These are the books in my Science Fiction Becoming News project.

http://www.freevoteusa.com/Books/Bookindex.html

There's nothing in the sub nodes yet, but I'm excited with the dynamic menu.

TaoPhoenix:
Random entry:
Christopher Anvil collection RX For Chaos.
Interesting note: It came out in 2008, and I just got around to looking at Wikipedia and noticed that the author passed on only a year after that. So Baen books must have decided to ask him for republishing rights while he was still alive both to make him feel good / send him a little money for his funeral costs, and maybe to avoid estate wrangling.

At a glacial pace, I am doing a project relating certain fiction which was ahead of its time with subsequent news stories that cast the original story in new context of relevance. Turns out that a full third of what were once SciFi stories he wrote are *just now* hitting the news. Typical example: A hilarious pseudo-documentary from *1978* called "A Handheld Primer" is just now describing the iPhone-Android wars.

rjbull:
Just finished:  Dark Fire, by C.J. Sansom, the second in his "Shardlake" series, that starts with Dissolution.  These are outstanding historical thrillers, set at the time of Henry VIII.

tomos:
Just finished:  Dark Fire, by C.J. Sansom, the second in his "Shardlake" series, that starts with Dissolution.  These are outstanding historical thrillers, set at the time of Henry VIII.
-rjbull (August 26, 2012, 02:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

must check that out.

A while back I read Pope Joan by Donna Woolfolk Cross. It's a really good novel -not a thriller as such, but lots of suspense in there- based on the story that there was a female pope in the early middle ages. Wikipedia doesnt have much faith in the story but that's besides the point really ;-)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Joan#Analysis_and_critique

That was one of the first historical novels I've read. I moved on to The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett (1989) about the building of a cathedral in 12thC England. It is a good read, very gripping - but the writing at times gets in the way of the story. There was a bit of a low in the middle where I almost gave up - but at 1,150 pages in my copy, he did well to keep me reading to the end.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version