ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What books are you reading?

<< < (57/212) > >>

kyrathaba:
My wife is dying to see the upcoming movie.

I have the Hunger Games trilogy on Kindle. Haven't read them yet because I'm currently finishing the Mistborn trilogy by Sanderson.

40hz:
The Lost Memory by Junichi Fujisaki.

This is a short novel spin-off from the anime series Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.

I'm not normally inclined to read books based on movies or TV series. But this short novel hit all the right notes and actually made the anime series more interesting while remaining a good little book in it's own right. Not a bad accomplishment considering GIS is one of the better post-cyberpunk franchises out there.

The setting for most of the Ghost in the Shell stories is a big sprawling neo-Tokyo where cybernetic implants and brain alterations are the norm. It's a fairly complex story that isn't easily summarized, although the predominant themes center on what it means to be alive, "truly human" - and what constitutes what we accept as 'reality.'

The treatment throughout Ghost in the Shell is very adult, and lacks most , but not always all (in the TV series) of the cutesy adolescent elements that occupy center stage in so many of these types of stories coming out of Japan.

Here's the capsule summary of the plot from the publisher.

Since being formed as a shadow peacekeeping organization, Section 9 has faced almost countless adversaries both in the real world and in cyberspace, but none like "The Awakened," a group of terrorists who seem to have the ability to take over the minds and bodies of almost anyone and use them to commit crimes against the state, leaving their pawns unaware of who was controlling them. When Major Motoko Kusanagi is able to capture one of the boys used as a pawn she hacks into his cyberbrain to find out who the ringleader is, but what she discovers will take her and the operatives of Section 9 on a journey deep into the heart of cyberspace, and the answers she finds will shake Section 9 to its core.
--- End quote ---

Very well done. And even more amazing, that it survived translation.

About $9 in bookstores (if there are any still left where you live) or from Amazon for...hmm...the same price! What's going on here? :huh:

---------

Note: If you're new to Ghost in the Shell, I'd suggest possibly viewing some of the anime before plunging into the book. Especially if you don't have much experience with this genre. The best are the three feature-length animations Ghost in the Shell and it's quasi-sequels Ghost in the Shell2: Innocence and Ghost in the Shell: Solid State Society - which is the lead-in for the subsequent Stand Alone Complex series.

What books are you reading?   What books are you reading?   What books are you reading?

:Thmbsup:

Renegade:
I've got a few books on the go. The only paper book that I'm reading is:

NSFW

But, I finally got myself a tablet, and am now reading a book on permanent magnetic motors, and this:

I plan to read more non-technical books (electronically) now that I have a decent reading platform (Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 - from Korea -- not the hacked down version everyone else gets. :P ;D )

I simply love having a truckload of books on my tab. It's so easy. And I don't have to deal with an BS from Amazon or Apple.  8)

Deozaan:
I picked up The Giver on Google Play Books for $0.25 the other day and I'm a few chapters in. It's interesting so far, but seems like it will be a short read.

rjbull:
Just started "Operation Napoleon", by Arnaldur Indridason.

Just finished "Mortal Engines," by Philip Reeve.
Far-future science fiction?  For children/young adults?  This one is great.  It deserves all the prizes awarded to it.  Adventure, energy, betrayal, revenge, romance, loyalty, engaging characters, a complicated villain, an unexpected denouement.  I couldn't put it down, and immediately requested the next in the quartet from the library.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version