ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What books are you reading?

<< < (39/212) > >>

erikts:
Working With You is Killing Me: Freeing Yourself from Emotional Traps at Work
Katherine Crowley and Katherine Crowley Page
[ review ]

kyrathaba:
I've finished the first two chapters of Daniel Schuller's "C# Game Programming for Serious Game Creation".  Quite technical, so far, but I suppose it has to be, given the difficult subject matter.

tomos:
Just downloaded "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" to my Kindle!  OooOooOoohh, excited.
-kyrathaba (January 03, 2011, 06:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

You won't be sorry - all three books left me wanting more (and hoping that Steig Larsson's estate gets sorted out soon so that whatever nuggets that remain unpublished WILL be published (from what I understand, there is one more book, about 80% finished, along with outlines for 6 more)!
-Darwin (January 03, 2011, 10:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

EDIT/ I didnt mean to post this to knock his books - it was the psychological stuff I found interesting.

A review in the New Yorker
Man of Mystery
Why do people love Stieg Larsson’s novels?
by Joan Acocella January 10, 2011

Very critical initially* (or should I say superficially? - critical of the writing & translation) but also a very interesting indepth analysis

*EDIT/ if you're a fan you could always skip to (roughly) the second half for the psychological analysis....
EDIT/ I didnt mean to post this to knock his books - it was the psychological stuff I found interesting.

superboyac:
Story, by Robert McKee.  The same one that is prominently featured in the film "Adaptation".

Great way to understand what makes stories good or bad.

40hz:
Re: Story by Robert McKee

Great recommendation SB. :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

What a book! One of those deep reads. High information density too. McKee packs a huge amount of thought into a small number of pages. Best sampled in chunks with adequate time to really think about what's being said and to fully grok all the nuances.

Story is also one of those rare books that grows with you. I first read it about 5 years ago. I still come back to reread sections (or the whole thing) from time to time and discover things I either missed or didn't fully appreciate on previos reads.

If you're really serious about becoming a writer (especially a movie scriptwriter) give this book a go!
 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version