ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What books are you reading?

<< < (208/212) > >>

tomos:
Mort by Terry Pratchett. A nice (and not too big) hardback.

about 70 pages in -- a very easy and entertaining read so far. My first book by Pratchett.
-tomos (January 26, 2021, 04:47 PM)
--- End quote ---
enjoyed that to the end and went for the second in the series -- "Reaper Man". It's a bit all over the shop (almost halfway through). Definitely not as good as the first

What books are you reading?

Fwiw they do make nice covers in the last hardback series (and they relatively cheap too)

MilesAhead:
Finally reading something by William Gibson.  Pattern Recognition

tomos:
Finally reading something by William Gibson.  Pattern Recognition
-MilesAhead (February 19, 2021, 09:09 AM)
--- End quote ---
I remember really enjoying a couple of his books before I ever had a computer -- or had much understanding of the internet (the reality was pretty boring in comparison).

(Fwiw I only started using computers -- for work -- in 1999.)

rjbull:
Mort by Terry Pratchett. A nice (and not too big) hardback.

about 70 pages in -- a very easy and entertaining read so far. My first book by Pratchett.
-tomos (January 26, 2021, 04:47 PM)
--- End quote ---
enjoyed that to the end and went for the second in the series -- "Reaper Man". It's a bit all over the shop (almost halfway through). Definitely not as good as the first-tomos (February 18, 2021, 04:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

Don't overlook that there are sub-series within the series.  The ones I enjoyed most are the ones featuring the Guards (Vimes, Carrot, Nobby, Colon et al.) , and the ones featuring the Witches (mostly Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg, Magrat, and later on, Tiffany Aching).

Discworld Monthly is a great source for all things Pratchett.  You can sign up for their monthly email newsletter.  It's such a shame that there won't be any more Discworld novels...

MilesAhead:
I remember really enjoying a couple of his books before I ever had a computer -- or had much understanding of the internet (the reality was pretty boring in comparison).
-tomos (February 19, 2021, 01:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah.  I never had Halle Berry distracting me while I was trying to write a program.. unfortunately.  8)  It always cracks me up when somebody sits in front of a computer with no IDEs, compilers or software tools installed and types furiously and boom!  They are into the Fort Knox gold reserves.  :)  In the old Dos days debug.com was there so you could do some Hello World kinds of things.  But not much else.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version