ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Who should judge Win7's success?

<< < (9/10) > >>

JavaJones:
I'm not against change and evolution, I just don't understand why it has to mean the end of the old way of doing things. Granted it's been around since Win2k now, but the fact that it survived from 2k, to XP, to Vista says something to me about the utility of that approach. I wonder how many people found it as functional as I.

One thing I find interesting is how many people who do like the new approach talk about "lack of clutter", etc. I for one don't care about this at all. My computer is functional not aesthetic, and I don't need it to be otherwise. I can deal with 100 icons on the desktop, 50 tabs in Firefox, and I like it that way. You're talking to a guy who has 2 rows of task bar on most of his computers. I'm also really annoyed by the inability to "re-open explorer windows on startup" in Win7 because I use the task bar as a "holding area" and almost like a reminder system in some sense (oh, this explorer folder was open because I had to work on that document). So the idea of collapsing, of trying to minimize icons on my taskbar or desktop, etc. is entirely counter intuitive and counter productive for me.

Anyway, again, bottom line is I don't object to new ideas, I just object to old ones being removed unless the new one fully encompasses them somehow. I feel like they could easily have made the new task bar paradigm flexible enough to accommodate my way of working... but they didn't.

As for using shortcuts to switch between the "first 5 apps", judging by my above comments on number of open apps, I'm sure you can see that wouldn't help much. ;) I appreciate the suggestion though.

- Oshyan

Innuendo:
...because I use the task bar as a "holding area" and almost like a reminder system in some sense (oh, this explorer folder was open because I had to work on that document). So the idea of collapsing, of trying to minimize icons on my taskbar or desktop, etc. is entirely counter intuitive and counter productive for me.-JavaJones (October 19, 2009, 01:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

Then it may be time to explore (no pun intended) looking into finding an alternate file manager. I often have many tabs open in Total Commander each one displaying a folder because it was I need to work on something later & if closed Total Commander will remember all those open tabs/folders upon re-opening.

Most of your irritants with Explorer I don't see because I left Explorer behind a long time ago as it's rather primitive compared to most third-party file managers available today. Maybe Win7 is your excuse to find one yourself?

JavaJones:
Yeah, actually I do already use FreeCommander (but it's a recent switch so I still use the old multi-window approach a lot), and it has solved a lot of my Win7 file management issues. But that's just one part of the reason I use the taskbar the way I do, and having solved that one still leaves many others.

- Oshyan

Innuendo:
Yeah, actually I do already use FreeCommander (but it's a recent switch so I still use the old multi-window approach a lot)-JavaJones (October 19, 2009, 09:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

The key with Orthodox file managers like Free Commander and Total Commander is mastering the command key shortcuts. If you do that, you'll be able to whiz through file operations much faster than you could ever by using a mouse in any setting. I haven't used Free Commander in years, but if it is worth its salt you'll find your concerns about Windows 7's Explorer's inadequacies melt away soon enough.

JavaJones:
Explorer, yes, but Task Bar... ? :D

I already know it's a fix for my Explorer issues, I wrote a blog post about it: http://oshyan.blogspost.com/

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version