ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Who should judge Win7's success?

<< < (3/10) > >>

Stoic Joker:
I've also never been an appreciator of flash and glitz, shiny, pretty UIs for the sake of just shiny and pretty (a shiny, pretty UI that improves *functionality* on the other hand is wonderful)-JavaJones (October 15, 2009, 03:52 PM)
--- End quote ---
I usually sum this up with the 3Fs rule - Form Follows Function. It's one of my favorites.

Tuxman:
Windows 7 is, basically, Vista with a unusable task bar. So I can't see a sense in "upgrading".

jgpaiva:
Windows 7 is, basically, Vista with a unusable task bar. So I can't see a sense in "upgrading".
-Tuxman (October 16, 2009, 07:16 PM)
--- End quote ---
Why do you say that?
There have been no changes in the inner workings? It takes as much space as Vista? It takes as much time to boot as Vista?
About the taskbar, you found studies showing that people are less productive when using win7?
Have you been using it yourself and finding that you worked much better with vista?

Tuxman:
It takes as much space as Vista? It takes as much time to boot as Vista?-jgpaiva (October 16, 2009, 07:39 PM)
--- End quote ---
According to the recommendations, it takes at least twice as much of resources. :P

About the taskbar, you found studies showing that people are less productive when using win7?-jgpaiva (October 16, 2009, 07:39 PM)
--- End quote ---
I performed studies myself. The one I performed them with was I. You see, if you are keen with a certain way to handle your OS (having been using Windows since 1996), it is a huge loss of productivity if you'll have to change your behavior entirely.

No more actual "task" bar, no more classic start menu; two big disadvantages for me. Of course, computer newbies (starting with Vista or sth) won't have these problems.

rgdot:
Less CPU hogging is always good but shouldn't be the only issue, I know nobody here says that it is but I am just saying. Even security shouldn't be the deal breaker in of itself. Of course if I write an OS which practically attracts viruses and uses 100%CPU all the time no body would use it but in a stable computing environment something that 'fits your needs' goes beyond 5% less cpu and less chance of this or that.
Success of Win7 should be measured on how users individually adapt to it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version