ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Something I don't get about Search Engines...

<< < (2/3) > >>

Stoic Joker:
I'm going with the people are fickle and lazy explanation. Basically if the new engine doesn't either dazzle with better results, or at least get close enough to not annoy ... folks just tend to go back to (their old habits) what they know.

Maybe it's just me, I'd like to step off on Google but It's too much effort to remember to use Bing when I have a custom search alias for Google. I just put g search term in the address bar hit enter and there it is. I've been doing that for years ... and am too lazy to change.

housetier:
They like bing because it is not google (too big) nor yahoo (too old).

Paul Keith:
Hmm... I guess these are the best answers that's possible.

Thanks everyone.

jomanlk:
Google actually does give preference to Wiki articles. They give it more weight intentionally. As for the other stuff, it's not just the search I guess. You'd have to consider not only whether the results are good but what exactly is indexed as well. Some of these search engines may be good but their indexing depth is no match for someone like Google, Yahoo or Bing. Also, it's advertising $$$ that most of the search people spend. Weirdly enough, I read somewhere that Google doesn't advertise their search engine. I don't know whether this is only in TV advertising or something like that though.

Paul Keith:
Some of these search engines may be good but their indexing depth is no match for someone like Google, Yahoo or Bing.-jomanlk (October 16, 2009, 12:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

The thing that makes me skeptical of this idea is that meta-search sites should have beaten Google if indexing depth was the case.

Then again...it could be that many of them don't have the simplicity of Google's ui.

Still...I'm at an end's wit as to what to ask to dig deeper into this puzzle.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version