ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

10/GUI

<< < (9/11) > >>

housetier:
Since I don't own one of these new tiny mobile PCs yet, I was wondering if 10/GUI was inspired by them. Well maybe I am getting ahead of myself here, as I doubt there is a device that can handle 10 fingers accurately.

Nevertheless, I find 10/GUI interesting not because of the 10 fingers but because of their window management ideas. I have yet to find a desktop metaphor that suits the way my brain works. I have come close with the Awesome window manager, which I can control via keyboard. But a more fluid layout like shown in the demo video seems interesting. I winder if there is a window manager that does that.

Back to mobile pcs: how do they manage several windows on a small screen?

Paul Keith:
Back to mobile pcs: how do they manage several windows on a small screen?
-housetier (October 16, 2009, 08:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well, I don't own an Iphone or a new Smartphone but maybe by new you also meant to include the older PocketPCs/Palms. (based on your comment about how they manage several windows on a small screen)

In that case, they manage multiple windows through a drop down arrow.

It still depends on the software you have but many of them are designed to work via a drop down arrow or some form of alt tabbing.

In a way, it's no different than cellphones with graphical icons. You press a button. Get a menu. Click on an icon that opens up a menu in full screen (except you can choose to have those applications remain open.)

Tuxman:
i think 40hz's old startrek picture does point the way to the future -- customized input pads tailored to the application you are working on.-mouser (October 13, 2009, 11:18 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yep:
http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus-tactus/

40hz:
i think 40hz's old startrek picture does point the way to the future -- customized input pads tailored to the application you are working on.-mouser (October 13, 2009, 11:18 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yep:
http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus-tactus/
-Tuxman (October 16, 2009, 07:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's exactly it! Schwing!!!  ;D

(Thx for the link T-Man!)

Tuxman:
No problem. Recently stumbled upon it.
(Who does buy me one? ...)

Navigation

[0] Message Index