ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

10/GUI

<< < (3/11) > >>

Paul Keith:
very good point Mark0!
let's take it one step further -- what about using a portable tablet pc as a second monitor as a custom-overlayed graphic touchpad.
that's actually a VERY good idea.
-mouser (October 13, 2009, 11:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

You guys might be interested in these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqX-8ckC6J4

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ipod-iphone-software-apps/129015-using-ipod-touch-secondary-monitor.html

mouser:
wow.. that's pretty cool.

mouser:
Here's the website for the psp one: http://www.jjs.at/software/pspdisp.html

it has a more updated video which is extremely impressive.

housetier:
I like 10/GUI and want to test it.

40hz:
Actually, I was more thinking that the command surface would also dynamically change based on the app. When you're running something like Photoshop, the main part of the panel would display Photoshop controls. When you switched apps, it would switch to a 'control panel' for that app.

Standard items like file open/close/save/print/next/previous/etc. could be assigned permanent locations (ex: an icon bank across the top of the command area) among all apps for consistency. (Although I was always an advocate of a triple-tap/click anywhere on an open document to initiate a [close|save w/changes|save as] selector.)

This control area would also be movable and 'pinable' (or dockable if you prefer) anywhere within the touch surface area. In a perfect world it should also be able to render displays using a mirrored layout to accommodate the world's growing left-handed human population. Support for Unicode should also be a given in order to assure global compatibility.

In many respects (and much as it pains me to say it *choke*) Apple's iPhone incorporates a lot of this already. My GF just upgraded her AT&T cellular plan and got a 3G as part of the deal. Despite my general dislike of Apple for their proprietary closed platform and elitist mindset, even I have to grudgingly admit that the interface design is, for the most part, quite impressive.

Paul mentioned something earlier about chopsticks. In some respects, I'd agree.

But with the way most apps work these days, right now I think the alphanumeric keyboard might actually be in danger of being on the lagging edge of where interfaces are heading.

I know a lot of people (nothing like us to be sure, but good people just the same  :lol:) who use their mouse for almost all their input. They rarely type in anything. And what little they do type in is mostly short things like tweets, passwords, and search terms. For that limited amount of routine textual input, an onscreen keyboard would be more than sufficient. They can always keep a small wireless keyboard in a desk drawer (right next to that POS microphone nobody ever uses) for those rare occasions when they actually do need to type something of length.

Hmm...imagine...a world without QWERTY. How could we make that work if we had to?

Now there's something to think about! 8)

------------

another thing to think about, at least from my experience, is that multiple monitors solves this issue with switching between running applications
-mouser (October 13, 2009, 11:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

Couldn't agree more. I've been running dual monitors for a few years now. And I can no longer remember how I lived without them. Sitting in front of a single screen - no mater how large - makes me feel like I'm trying to play a game of tennis while wearing an overcoat.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version