ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

10/GUI

<< < (2/11) > >>

mouser:
i think most of the stuff in the 2nd half of the 10gui video is a step backward -- at least the software part.

i think 40hz's old startrek picture does point the way to the future -- customized input pads tailored to the application you are working on.

so many of these new futuristic desktop managers try to come up with ways one can live inside a desktop of multiple windows -- zoom around, pan and scroll, flip through, 3d navigate, etc.   but isn't the truth that this kind of navigation is all completely counter productive.  as soon as you have more than a few windows, that are designed to be run fullscreen, open at a time, you dont ever want to be "navigating" around these in some active way that requires animations and movement.  at that point you've basically lost the game.

i think it would be more productive to have a kind of predictable input layout map like the above, which showed a map of common applications, with the ones *currently running* lit up like on a display panel, with a press to activate full screen.  any time you have to do some animation (such as dragging and panning) to see what it running, you've lost the game in my opinion.

another thing to think about, at least from my experience, is that multiple monitors solves this issue with switching between running applications -- far better to have 4 monitors for 4 full screen applications.  if you find yourself running more than 4 or 5 fullscreen big applications at a time, you're already in trouble.

Mark0:
In fact a separate 7" touch sensitive LCD, to be used as a sort of keyboard with programmable layout would be a very interesting addition to any existing setup, and probably quite cheap to. It would be just a matter of a nice software to manage the programming, theming, etc.
ECK! It could even be a DonationCoder Do-It-Yourself project! :)

mouser:
very good point Mark0!
let's take it one step further -- what about using a portable tablet pc as a second monitor as a custom-overlayed graphic touchpad.
that's actually a VERY good idea.

Mark0:
Yes! Not cheap maybe, but since some may have one already, it could be a nice way to put it at (even more) good use.

Paul Keith:
Sorry, I have to go against this idea. It sounds too much like chopsticks meets tablet PC meets keyboard meets forcing users to be macro users and further confusing casual users because now they not only have to remember keyboard shortcuts, they have to remember finger shortcuts.

The way I see it, if you want to push for this concept, you'd better off adding motion sensors on to a monitor than making the keyboard a much bigger utility that makes it harder to fit on any low on cash person's desk.

Have it so you can optionally remove the covers on either side of a monitor and you can play 1-2-3 fingers on it's motion detection system.

Less carpal tunnel risk too because your hands aren't resting on a flat surface but are hovering on the sides of the monitor and it would mimic a finger point or if the motion technology is too fragile, you could opt for side buttons. You could even make it flash colors as to help one's memory by associating a color with a follow up command.

The only good idea was that panel/browser hybrid. I remember suggesting something similar in Opera although I no longer have a link.

It was basically an idea to replace the Firefox extension which mimics PDF Player's hand icon except for the browser. The idea being a much easier scroll area for horizontal scrolling.

My preference for a mouse replacement still is biased towards a desktop equivalent for KeystrokeCE.

Mostly because I was shocked how I was able to cope with it on a PocketPC despite the complexity of it (in concept) compared to some of the other tools using hand gestures and typing suggestions. (I was basically desperate and tried different things expecting this to be one of the interfaces I turn down but instead, this and the visual keyboard were the only two interfaces I learned.)

The vague concept being a combination of FARR + Circle Dock + Keystroke CE.

Basically, press a hotkey. Open a default hotkey combination menu/custom settings menu. Have the preferred menu setting pop up and use the numpad as the replacement for the mouse. (especially with regards to selecting specific files that aren't grouped side by side or editing several words edged between sentences)

Edit:

I also forgot to point out the ramifications of a motion detecting monitor for gaming.

Already there are software that tries to turn webcams into Wii-cams but a motion detecting side panel not only does not detract from a Wii-cam, it adds to it by virtue of it having certain advantages that makes it more suitable for the PC than for a console.

With this, you could call out plays on any PC sports games, create micro hand gestures with squad based games and even have commands that don't interfere with the keyboard, mouse and Webcam and it works because the monitor is naturally much closer when using a pc compared to the television.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version