ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

10/GUI

<< < (8/11) > >>

Paul Keith:
Hmm. I can see this is going nowhere. We'll see which of our ideas ever sees support, much less realization, but I stand by my previous arguments.

In a funny coincidence I went to Best Buy a few days ago to buy a digital camera for a friend (10% off coupon made it worthwhile over online vendors who were out of stock anyway). While I was there I saw a fairly expensive "edge touch" picture frame where you used sensors on the edge of the screen to control the settings and UI. It was... awful. :D

- Oshyan
-JavaJones (October 15, 2009, 12:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

Very well. If you're too prideful to admit that you're jumping through hoops with your reasoning and that you didn't really stood by your arguments and you kept changing them...

Btw. I'd just like to point out that I am not for monitor sensors.

If you had only looked past your blind bias, you would have seen that I preferred a much more developed KeyStrokeCE for the desktop and only mentioned monitor sensors to keep on topic with the 10Gui concept.

JavaJones:
Hmm, yes I suppose from your perspective you are faultless in your reasoning and I am foolish. Nevermind that if monitor sensors weren't a focus of your intention, one wonders why you spent so much time and energy arguing in their favor.

Looking back through what you have said, you've described the implementation in multiple ways, and I could as easily perceive that as "changing your argument", just as you have (incorrectly) with mine. All of the major points I made remain valid. The fingerprint issue is something you latched onto because it was easy to argue against as it didn't apply to your concept, but it was hardly a pillar in my argument.

I will say that I found your initial explanation of the idea confusing and that naturally my response was based on that early understanding. Whether the fault was mine or yours, one of misperception, or poor explanation, is irrelevant. The focus of my criticisms of the approach evolved as my understanding of your concept evolved, but it was not evasive and, as I said, all the essential elements of my criticisms remain valid.

I note with interest that no one else has jumped into this particular part of the discussion, whether in favor of you or I. Most likely nobody cares about it. Frankly I'm feeling the same way now. The reason I continue to respond is I find your communications rather rude and patronizing, and I'm not so happy to let that stand. But I suppose the only way to end it is to let it die. So this will be my last response. The world can judge me, and the validity of my points in this thread, as they may. ;)

- Oshyan

Paul Keith:
Hmm, yes I suppose from your perspective you are faultless in your reasoning and I am foolish. Nevermind that if monitor sensors weren't a focus of your intention, one wonders why you spent so much time and energy arguing in their favor.-JavaJones (October 15, 2009, 06:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

No, you have it backwards. You threw out the words silly first. You were the ones who kept changing the argument without even admitting that you were mistaken in the previous one. You are the one accusing me of using your own flawed arguments as some kind of pillar instead of admitting how absurd they were.

Looking back through what you have said, you've described the implementation in multiple ways, and I could as easily perceive that as "changing your argument", just as you have (incorrectly) with mine. All of the major points I made remain valid. The fingerprint issue is something you latched onto because it was easy to argue against as it didn't apply to your concept, but it was hardly a pillar in my argument.
--- End quote ---

Lol, I never latched on to anything. I'm the one who had to constantly switch arguments while tolerating your manner of thinking and arrogance.

I will say that I found your initial explanation of the idea confusing and that naturally my response was based on that early understanding. Whether the fault was mine or yours, one of misperception, or poor explanation, is irrelevant. The focus of my criticisms of the approach evolved as my understanding of your concept evolved, but it was not evasive and, as I said, all the essential elements of my criticisms remain valid.
--- End quote ---

To use your own words: "Hmm, yes I suppose from your perspective you are faultless in your reasoning and I am foolish"

I note with interest that no one else has jumped into this particular part of the discussion, whether in favor of you or I. Most likely nobody cares about it. Frankly I'm feeling the same way now. The reason I continue to respond is I find your communications rather rude and patronizing, and I'm not so happy to let that stand. But I suppose the only way to end it is to let it die. So this will be my last response. The world can judge me, and the validity of my points in this thread, as they may. ;)

- Oshyan

--- End quote ---

Riiight.

To use your own words: "Hmm, yes I suppose from your perspective you are faultless in your reasoning and I am silly"

JavaJones, the reason "I" responded to you in the first place was because it was you who threw out the first insult and was rude and patronizing in your subsequent replies and you continue to be right now in this post.

I suggest instead of pretending your points is the one in need of judgement, you drop the arrogance and look at your personality first. 

housetier:
I want to hear arguments about 10/GUI or alternatives, but not who "started it first".

Paul Keith:
@housetier:

It's not an argument of who started it first. That's pretty much clear with this post:

Well, I think Mouser has already expressed some of my concerns. I like the idea of a better multi-touch interface close to hand, rather than the silly idea of trying to actually use your monitor which is A: too far away 90% of the time and B: you don't want fingerprints all over. However I think all the potential of the touch interface is wasted in this concept because it spends too much time and UI commands trying to improve on existing window management solutions when I honestly don't find the existing solutions to be that big a problem. I routinely have 10 or more apps/windows open, and many of these have tabs of their own inside (pspad text editor with tabs, Firefox, Chrome, IE all with tabs, etc.). So for me this concept video is trying to solve a problem I don't have with an intriguing interaction device that is ultimately wasted due to the misdirected UI changes.

- Oshyan
-JavaJones (October 13, 2009, 11:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's more of a rude comeback/reminder to JavaJones' own rude comments as to why we're arguing about monitor sensors.

In that sense, it does fit the "arguments about alternatives" bit. We're just being rude to each other because we're coming off rude to each other.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version