ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

10/GUI

<< < (4/11) > >>

Paul Keith:
Hmm...imagine...a world without QWERTY. How could we make that work if we had to?
--- End quote ---

Dvorak? Azerty? Qwertz? Maltron? PLUM?

Thank god for Wikipedia  :P

In all honesty, that's what KeyStroke CE does though. A shifting circle with a toggle to switch the options as long as it's single symbol based.

(except it's a typing tool so it presets alpha-numeric symbols)

Video and audio would be the more likely QWERTY killer though.

JavaJones:
Bah, this is all so primitive:
"Computer... Computer... (McCoy hands Scotty the mouse) Aye. Hello computer." -- Scotty, "Just use the keyboard." -- G'vnr Nichols, "Keyboard. How quaint." -- Scotty, Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home

- Oshyan

40hz:
Hmm...imagine...a world without QWERTY. How could we make that work if we had to?
--- End quote ---

Dvorak? Azerty? Qwertz? Maltron? PLUM?

Thank god for Wikipedia  :P

-Paul Keith (October 13, 2009, 02:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's just rearranging the deck chairs as far as I'm concerned.  ;D

I meant thinking entirely outside the box that using an alphanumeric keyboard puts us in.

The mouse was a good first step. How far can we take it from there?

Paul Keith:
I also answered that.  :P

KeystrokeCE was pen gesture meets keyboard. That was pretty far considering how limited mouse gestures can do in a PC and how effective it was compared to stuff like TenGo below.

It also did it in such a way where the alphanumeric symbols were used as a way to serve as a typing tool as opposed to a necessity like TenGo which was still a visual keyboard. (site seems to be down though)

Here's a gif though of TenGo in action:

Other stuff besides audio and voice include:

Microsoft Courier: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmIgNfp-MdI

PSPDisp as was already mentioned.

Touchpad Mouse as shown in Superboyac's Mac thread.

Frogpad as you already know.

Ergonomic mouses and trackballs like this: http://www.techpin.com/best-ergonomic-mouse/

Motion-sensor Webcams

Motion-sensor Monitors

Laptop Tablet PCs

Trackpads

...really the future is still young with all the concepts there is with regards to input.  :D

Edit:

Forgot to add experimental desktop environments like BumpTop.

JavaJones:
Well, I think Mouser has already expressed some of my concerns. I like the idea of a better multi-touch interface close to hand, rather than the silly idea of trying to actually use your monitor which is A: too far away 90% of the time and B: you don't want fingerprints all over. However I think all the potential of the touch interface is wasted in this concept because it spends too much time and UI commands trying to improve on existing window management solutions when I honestly don't find the existing solutions to be that big a problem. I routinely have 10 or more apps/windows open, and many of these have tabs of their own inside (pspad text editor with tabs, Firefox, Chrome, IE all with tabs, etc.). So for me this concept video is trying to solve a problem I don't have with an intriguing interaction device that is ultimately wasted due to the misdirected UI changes.

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version