ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Wanted: SysAdmin-focused Account Information Keeper

(1/4) > >>

tinjaw:
I have RoboForm for keeping my web-based login usernames and passwords organized. What I am looking for is something focused for system administrators.

I have things configured in various programs. For example, I have FileZilla configured with my account info. Same with PuTTY, X-Win32, Super Flexible File Synchronizer, and others. But every time I add a new software tool to my toolbox I need to create those accounts and I need a canonical source for my connection information. Or, even when using an existing tool, I need to add new sites/connections/accounts as I use them for the first time in that tool.

Right now I save them as Safenotes in RoboForm and maybe I just need to figure out a better way to organize the information.

What do you SysAdmin- SuperUser-types use?

Gothi[c]:
I have a custom command-line password management script I wrote, kind of like a password search engine.
It lets me define any number of fields of information (kind of like an LDAP directory), eg: server name, ip address, user name, password, email address, url, notes,.... Not every entry needs to have all fields (Which is the advantage of directory-style versus column style) -
Then on commandline i just type:

--- ---pass somename someserver
- and it will give me the entry where all keywords hit, in a nice layout for easy copy/paste.

--- ---pass -e

will let me edit the directory in vim.
Every time i run pass, it asks for the master password, everything is encrypted using bcrypt or mcrypt

I may actually switch to a real encrypted ldap directory some day or use a real password management program, but so far this works quite nicely.

Lots of people swear by KeePass and stuff.

40hz:
Lots of people swear by KeePass and stuff.
-Gothi[c] (October 11, 2009, 02:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

I use KeyPass. I'd go nuts keeping track of all the logins I have if I didn't.
Decent built-in security features too. Especially nice is the way it maintains in-memory security so you don't need to worry about your passwords being cached by the OS.

Small, fast, and secure. What's not to like? 8)

techidave:
I use the Firefox password manager but maybe I should/need to consider KeePass or RoboForm but for what reasons??

tinjaw:
I may actually switch to a real encrypted ldap directory some day-Gothi[c] (October 11, 2009, 02:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

That is what I was thinking about doing; creating a custom app built around an LDAP.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version