ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Tech News Weekly: Edition 41-09

<< < (2/3) > >>

Ehtyar:
I'm pretty sure that using graphics cards to replace our current CPUs would not be conducive to a smooth transition, what with the hundreds of missing instruction and register equivalents and all that...

Ehtyar.

4wd:
#5 would be wonderful if it holds up -- it seems grossly unfair to me that you can't sell software 2nd hand the way you can anything else you buy outright.
-mouser (October 11, 2009, 05:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm sure I remember reading a few years ago that selling your old software secondhand did not contravene the (ridiculously) stringent EULA terms even though they all say you only "License" the software.

Of course, the company can at any time withdraw support for a registration if 'they' feel like it, I'm sure.

I'm pretty sure that using graphics cards to replace our current CPUs would not be conducive to a smooth transition, what with the hundreds of missing instruction and register equivalents and all that...-Ehtyar (October 11, 2009, 05:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm not talking near term here but I'm looking forward to 32 core Radeon 999990s running BLAZEMONGER! 2034: the only game to sear your eyeballs to the back of your skull before it implodes and that comes with an optional GPU controlled intravenous caffeine drip for those 45picosecond gaming sessions.

CPUs?  BAH! They're for wusses!

tomos:
#5 would be wonderful if it holds up -- it seems grossly unfair to me that you can't sell software 2nd hand the way you can anything else you buy outright.
-mouser (October 11, 2009, 05:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

I read once that Adobe offer a 'service' where you can transfer the licence to someone else. Dont know if that's true or not - I'm no fan of Adobe but if that's true I'd think a bit less poorly of them...

40hz:
I'm pretty sure that using graphics cards to replace our current CPUs would not be conducive to a smooth transition, what with the hundreds of missing instruction and register equivalents and all that...

Ehtyar.
-Ehtyar (October 11, 2009, 05:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well...since any general purpose computer can model any other general purpose computer, if the multi-GPU approach gained broad market acceptance, it would only be a matter of time before somebody developed a cross-compiler until native mode development could catch up.

:)

tomos:
5. It's Official: Software is Owned, Not Licensed
http://www.net-security.org/secworld.php?id=8286
It seems you can now legally resell a second-hand copy of software in the US; you own it.

Autodesk, a California based software company that has been suing one Timothy Vernor for second-hand sale of (legitimate) copies of the company's software via eBay, has lost the suit.

Out-Law News reports that Autodesk tried to prove that the software in question is licensed (not sold), and that Vernor's attempt to sell it constitutes copyright infringement - but the court found that there isn't enough evidence to back that claim.
-Ehtyar (October 11, 2009, 06:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

any develompents on that one?

anyone know what the situation is in EU, or worldwide?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version